[Build Complete] NK4.0 rebuild -- DQ77MK + i5307S

Hello all,

Trying to rebuild my NK4 system from this build since it looked like my DQ77KB died.

Since sourcing a replacement DQ77KB was getting ridiculously pricey, I decided to make the jump to micro-ATX:

Part Model Price Purchase Location
Case Fractal Design Node 804 $109.99 NewEgg
Motherboard Intel DQ77MK Desktop Motherboard Socket LGA1155 Q77 MicroATX $58.00 Ebay
CPU Intel Core i5-3570S - 3.1 GHz SR0T9 $29.99 (previous bild) Ebay
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 UDIMM 8GB 2RX8 PC3 12800U Dual Rank Non-ECC Unbuffered 1.5V $64.99 Amazon
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Gravity i2 $11.99 (previous build) Amazon
Cables 2x CableCreation Mini SAS Male to 4 SATA Female $14.99 Amazon
HD Controller LSI SAS9201-8i $26.00 Ebay
HDD (4) 10TB SATA (previous build) Assorted
HDD (3) 8TB SATA (previous build) Assorted
SSD Some 256GB SSD (previous build) Amazon
PSU EVGA 500 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 500W $44.99 EVGA B-stock

So everything powers up, I get LED lights on the motherboard and the blue ME light goes on, the fans are working and the power light on the case is on, but it won’t post. Initially I wasn’t getting any video at all via the mini-DP, but I got a DVI-D to HDMI adapter and now can at least see the BIOS boot screen, but it never gets past this, nor does it allow me to F2/F10:

Things I’ve tried:

• No cards, no SATA connections, nothing in USB – same result
  • No memory – gives 3 beep memory error, so that sounds right
  • Just one DIMM – same result stuck on BIOS screen
  • Pulling the CMOS battery – same result
  • Using the jumper to set BIOS into configuration mode – same result

I don’t really know what else to try here, maybe my old CPU was bad too and I need to replace it as well?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

It’s possible that you need to use an earlier Sandy-bridge CPU to update the BIOS for Ivy-bridge support.

hmm the Intel compatibility site claims that the DQ77MK should be compatible with Ivy-bridge with minimum BIOS version 31; the seller posted pictures that the BIOS should have been at 48 already?

I finally got this all working a couple of weeks ago, but I’ve been finishing up the fiddly bits and am just now coming back to document…

It turns out it didn’t like having the LSI board in the PCIe-x16 slot, which maybe it really wants only to have a video card. But I was able to put the LSI board into the open-backed PCIe-x4 slot and it works great.

Somehow I also ran into an issue where my existing SSD that was working fine as my old cache drive would block all other drives from being seen as boot devices, so if it was connected then all it would do was to try and default to PXE boot. It looks like some sort of partition mismatch, possibly when I switched it from btrfs to xfs due to the SSD cache write bug thing in 6.8. It just ended up being easier to buy a new SSD and copy everything over than figure it out.

I mistakenly ordered 140mm fans to put above the drive bays for extra cooling, not realizing that you can’t have fans and drive bays at the same time. So 2x 120mm fans for the front of the drive compartment, but since I had the 140mm ones anyway and it was not worth it to return them, I swapped some of them around and put them all in.

Final parts list:

Part Model Price Purchase Location
Case Fractal Design Node 804 $109.99 NewEgg
Motherboard Intel DQ77MK Desktop Motherboard Socket LGA1155 Q77 MicroATX $58.00 Ebay
CPU Intel Core i5-3570S - 3.1 GHz SR0T9 $29.99 (previous bild) Ebay
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 UDIMM 8GB 2RX8 PC3 12800U Dual Rank Non-ECC Unbuffered 1.5V $64.99 Amazon
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Gravity i2 $11.99 (previous build) Amazon
Cables 2x CableCreation Mini SAS Male to 4 SATA Female $14.99 Amazon
HD Controller LSI SAS9201-8i $26.00 Ebay
HDD (4) 10TB SATA WD Red/shucks (previous build) Assorted
HDD (3) 8TB SATA WD Red (previous build) Assorted
HDD (1) 14TB SATA EasyStore shucked Best Buy $190
SSD Silicon Power 256GB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC $31.99 Amazon
PSU EVGA 500 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 500W $44.99 EVGA B-stock
Fans (2) ARCTIC F14 PWM PST - 140 mm $21.98 Amazon
Fans (2) ARCTIC P12 PWM PST - 120 mm $19.99 Amazon

Everything works, kids are delighted that the Plex server is back up, and I even took the time to undertake renaming/organizing the movie library and finally installing Radarr, putting in library update triggers from Radarr and Medusa, and setting up Tautulli with Slack/Discord notifications. Whew!