Xeon e5 2678 v3 + HUANANZHI X99 X99-TF power consumption (alternative for unRAID)?

Hello everybody,

i am considering switching from my current x79 config (unRAID) to x99.
My concern is that the xeon e5 2678 v3 vlt will not be very efficient in idle. … if so, the new config. will probably be DDR4 ECC/REG + Xeon E% 2630v3… or another recommendation.

I can’t find any information about the power consumption in the net and TDP is not a suitable specification.
Personally I think in combination with the HUANANZHI X99 X99-TF I could continue to use my 4+DDR3 ECC/REG bars… and I hope that ECC is really “actively” used… I don’t know how the support of DDR4 ECC/REG looks like… they are also quite expensive when used as well as electricity (Germany)…

Unfortunately there are not many boards with “AST2400” on the Ali-market and then only as dual socket… I don’t know how good the remote access is possible, with some bad luck it’s just an attached graphic card without remote advantages.
QIYIDA X99 Dual would be one of these boards. Unfortunately this board comes with a Realtek RTL8111H chipset, I have problems with unRAID (6.9) (not with Windows 10!), WoL does not work so I bought an Intel NIC PCIe card.

I’ll start with the power consumption data;

Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2650L v2 @ 1.70GHz
HUANANZHI X79-ZD3 Version REV:2.2
32 GiB DDR3 Multi-bit ECC (maximum installable 96 GiB)
1WD MyBook 8TB -parity
WD MyBook 8TB data
1* 128GB SSD cache NVMe.

All HDD/NVMe on; ~75.9Watt
For SMB transmission, write 2HDDs (8TB data HDD+ 8TB parity); ~94Watt
Idle, HDD array sleeping, “only” NVMe on; ~50Watt.

Thx.

Why waste all of that money on DDR4, a new socket, and new CPUs?

You will at most save 5-10 watts with a new config, it will take you 10+ years to offset the cost.

1 Like

Man, I ran into the same dilemma, or so I thought until I gave it some thought and came to the same conclusion JDM! Never looked back.

Of course this changes things if you live in a country like Germany where the electricity is super expensive compared to the U.S or Canada.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.
I am all yours, DDR3 ECC/REG is cheap and as I experienced it so far less problematic than DDR4 ECC/REG. RAM.

The reason to think of DDR4 at all is to conclude and touching that Xeon E5 2630V3 unfortunately only eats DDR4/ECC&REG.
but I would have to bet on this one when the 2678V3 in idle sucks all my money.

With the current x79 setup there are just problems when it falls into a deep sleep, it doesn’t wake up anymore. I suspect that the HUANANZHI X99 X99-TF is of higher quality.

I pay 32cent (Euro) per kWh.

@Leslie, The E5-2630V2 uses DDR3 ECC and is relatively power efficient. I don’t know your use case so I’m not sure if this is something that you can do.

In my state in America I pay:
kWh Energy Charge:
7.185¢ per on-peak kWh or roughly less than 6 cent Euro
5.745¢ per off-peak kWh or roughly 5 cent Euro

So big difference in what we’re each charged for electricity (your 32 cent Euro’s equiv in USD is 38 cents/kWh).

Nevemind, I just noticed your current config which is more efficient than the processor that I referenced above:
Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2650L v2 @ 1.70GHz <-----

I see on Intel’s site the following,
“The ® Xeon® processor E5–2600 V3 product family supports both DDR3 and DDR4 memory. DDR4 can save up to 35% power compared to DDR3 (2 DIMMs per channel) and can bring up to 50% performance boost in bandwidth1.”,
which leads me to understand why you were trying to pursue using DDR4 RAM.

1 Like

Thank you for the information, yes a huge price difference, very interesting… be glad that you don’t have to pay Germany prices.^^
I personally want to stay with DDR3 ECC/REG is cheap and it runs quite reliable I have 3-4 china x79 and a x58 board, runs everywhere.

The reason why I came to DDR4 ECC/REG is that from the “V3&V4” family most of the processors are only compatible with DDR4 ECC/REG RAM, the 2678v3 is an exception to this, it feeds DDR3 and DDR4… unfortunately it is possible that this processor does not clock down very far in idle mode and thus consumes a lot of energy for light tasks… so it may be that the 2630v3 is a better compromise… but it can only handle DDR4 (ECC/REG)…
IPMI is also only available on chinaboards that support DDR4…

I chose Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2650L v2 because it has a very low idle clock speed but also many threads for VMs :slight_smile:

Because E5-2630V2 and E5-2620V2 I also have… they are very cheap in Germany, offer a lot of threads and you can stuff them in slightly worse felt environments.
E5-2620V2 also works quite well as “Conan Exiles Server”.

i see a lot of LGA1155 mobos not mentioning E5-2650L v2 in their compatibility list while supporting all other xeon cpus.
Only a few states they support E5-2650L
Why is that?

how are the chinese x58 and x79 mobos? have you guys use it 24/7 long term? how do they hold up?

LGA1155 and E5 series CPUs have nothing to do with each other.

LGA1155 xeon support includes E3 V1/V2, depends on the motherboard though.

how are the chinese x58 and x79 mobos? have you guys use it 24/7 long term? how do they hold up?

There’s no real reason to buy them.

Yes, I had the HUANANZHI X79 ZD3 REV 2.0 motherboard for unRAID running for several days for an array rebuilt and parity check. and also backup redundancy. Running. I just can’t get WoL to work yet ( on unRAID /(FreeBSD), but it works on Windows 10).
As “daily drive” for Jellyfin I prefer the energy efficient Pentium LGA1151 /(G4560, G4600…etc.). …also for DNS blocker, cloud/VPN etc.

The Xeons are more for backups and VMs (testing) and gaming because I feel a bit safer with ECC.

I use daily x79… CPUs and so far everything runs smoothly.
x58 is in the PC for LAN parties among friends, for which the old potato is still sufficient. It is not recommended. Power guzzler in idle mode.

x79/99 is preferred if you want ECC RAM that is as much and as cheap as possible and want to keep the PCIe lanes free for more NVMe memory.

With Ryzen you will only find ECC officially supported on the “pro” series, everything else is Crystal Ball. You also can’t use ECC REG RAM, so you’ll pay a lot more for it on the Ebay market, even more so with many GB per bolt.

x79, LGA2011 China boards are relatively cheap when it comes to ECC, and you also get many cores for little money… but unfortunately the IPC per clock is rather poor compared to current platforms, but you have ECC support and many lanes. For little money. You have to see what is better for your own goal.