Wanting to Build a NAS Killer 5.0 with 10+ drives

Hi all, finally looking forward to getting a server going. Primarily I want to buy my parts over time, and I’m not in a huge rush and would like to have it going by the end of summer. I’m working at a MicroCenter so that can help in acquiring parts.

I first looked and didn’t see any build templates for the NAS Killer 5.0, so I took a look at the NAS Killer 4.0. I’m inspired by the “Ultra-Quiet” Plus" Build". Below is that parts list:

Type Part (link) Expected Price
Case Silverstone KL04B $85.00
Motherboard Supermicro X9SCM $50.00
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1270 $32.00
RAM 16GB DDR3 ECC UDIMM $49.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black $25.00
Power Supply MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless $65.00
SAS HBA LSI 9201-8i $30.00
SAS Cable 2 Pack SAS breakout $12.00
SATA Cable 6 Pack SATA cable $8.00
Fans Arctic P12 120mm 5 Pack $28.00
Total ----- $384.00

Now to be picky, the CPU is fine though I was thinking of Xeon E3 1220V2 as a slight upgrade. In terms of motherboards I’m not picky as long as I can buy it used. In terms of the RAM, my work has some good RAM available under their Inland brand that is great for the price especially as it’s new RAM and ECC. Thinking of also picking up 1 or 2 Inland branded 2.5" SSD drives for files and cache as well (I’m assuming they’ll be compatible). As for cases the Fractal Design 804 case is a good option with 10 drives but I’m also leaning towards a Fractal Design R6, R7, or R7XL. I’d also be open to a Antec 1200 too, just something I can cram a crap ton of drives in a desktop case, not ready for rack mount. Planning to buy used drives on eBay and also doing a bit of shucking too.

How are my thoughts and adjustments? Reasonable? Feel free to pick things apart as I want to get this done right!

Did you take a look at the NAS Killer 4.1 by chance? That’s really the most economical way to get into a NAS Killer right now.

Finally, took a look at it, looks like a great option with the Chenbro stuff to then use in a desktop case instead of rack mount. Later down the line would I be able to still use the processor but upgrade to DD4 ram after replacing the motherboard?

The processor is socket specific, always has been. DDR4 should not be seen as an upgrade, as it provides no functional benefit over DDR3 in a server capacity.

The E3-1230V2 is a beast of a processor. You can upgrade to 16GB or 32GB of RAM later if you need more.

Sounds great! Now out to look for a case with at least 8 3.5" drive slots and I’m ready to rock. Since I’m not doing the rack mount what should I do with the chasis/Chenbro? Should I resell that part or recycle it?

Take a look at the Cooler Master N400. It’s my favorite!

Just wanted make sure I’ll be good…I bought the following drives

4x Seagate 6TB SAS3 7.2K 3.5" HDD
2 x IBM Seagate 3TB 7.2K 7200 RPM 3.5" SAS 6GB/s HDD ST33000650SS 9SM260-039

I should be ok as they’re both SAS right? I say some SATA HD’s on BitDeals but thought I wouldn’t be able to use them. Otherwise I should be all good for my parts.