Supermicro CSE-826 2U Chassis BPN-SAS2-826EL1 2x 500W PSU w/ Sliding Rails and 12x Trays - $250 shipped

Supermicro CSE-826 2U Chassis BPN-SAS2-826EL1 2x 500W PSU w/ Rails and 12x Trays

• CSE-826 Supermicro 2U SuperChassis
  • BPN-SAS2-826EL1 12x3.5 SAS/SATA 6G BACKPLANE
  • 2x PWS-501P-1R 500W PSU
  • Sliding Rack Rails
  • 12x 3.5" Drive Trays/Caddies
  • Air Shroud Baffle Cover

$175 + $75 shipping

https://ebay.us/wXhPqx

>>> LINK <<<

• Good Deal
  • Mediocre Deal
  • Bad Deal
0 voters
1 Like

>>>LINK<<< seems to not go anywhere. (ebay link works fine though)

Should be fixed now. Thanks!

1 Like

How quiet can these be made? Aside from the Q-series PSUs what fan replacements would you suggest?

Generally, I wouldn’t advocate for making them quieter (read: silent) as you will not get adequate airflow to the drives and/or components. You can swap the fans, but even running at full speed I find it’s not sufficient.

Others may have a different opinion.

1 Like

So I have a full Rosewill box. I think moving to this setup would be good. What additional hardware should I think about getting to help connect the SASs that are in the Rosewill box to the backplane of this box.

(apologize for n00b question - shooting me over to something to read is perfectly fine.)

Do I need to pass a cable from the back of my Rosewill server box into the card that this box has?

Thanks

What do you intend to accomplish by doing this?

well, I’d like to move the drives out of the rosewill box and also looking towards eventual expansion as currently the box is physically full.

Just in case useful to anyone here - I run 3x NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM in my SC846. Those things can move some air (albeit in a 4 RU enclosure). Keep my 24 mostly SAS (read: 7200 and toasty) drives in the 40’c/104f range at half speed (1500 RPM).

Also very quiet - server is sitting beside me ~ 3 feet away.

I’ve spent the last few weeks making mine quieter. Below are my server specs.

CPU: AMD 3950x
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aouros Master
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Masterair G200p
Memory: 32GB Teamgroup 3600Mhz DDR4
HBA Controller: Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8E SAS3 12Gbps
GPU: Nvidia RTX A2000
Fans: Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM

I have 6 drive bays populated with HDD’s and the remaining 6 filled with tray fillers. I completed the build about a week ago. The toughest part of the build was finding a CPU cooler. At first I used a passive 2U AM4 cooler with the stock delta fans but it was way to loud for where I keep my server. I spent a lot of time looking for a low profile cooler on the used market but was unable. So I went to microcenter and bought a new one.
After finding an adequate cooler I swapped the jet fans with the Noctua fans and it’s a completely different server. Almost not even noticable. I was worried about drive temps and even in the space I have it with little airflow drives sit around 35-40° C. Acceptable in my eyes.
After the fan and CPU cooler I went back to transcoding Plex with my CPU, it worked fine. Although the temps kept climbing and finally settled around the 80-85° C range which I wasn’t to happy with. So I spent about two weeks watching the ebay adds and snagged a Nvidia RTX A2000 to handle the transcoding for me. Paid about $245 out the door.
After swapping in the GPU I’m sitting around 50-60° C on the CPU all the time, drive temps haven’t changed at all. The GPU while transcoding 4 streams was around 70° C.

All together I’m extremely satisfied with how it turned out and would say that making them quite is possible but not the easiest, fastest, or cheapest.

1 Like