Sun Oracle F80 - Troubleshooting Capacity Output

I recently purchased a couple of Sun Oracle F80 devices and am seeing odd output. I’ve been reading up on previous other discussions on these devices, but haven’t been able to find any other reports of this same behavior.

After popping the device into my proxmox host, I am seeing lsblk report each of the SSDs as having 2.4TB capacity, instead of the expected 200GB. Running ddcli and selecting option 1 outputs the following information:

Of note is that it is being reported that each SSD has 400GB capacity, again not the 200GB that I would expect. Moreover, from my testing, it appears that the 400GB capacity reported in ddcli may be correct. Selecting a single SSD, and creating a 300GB partition using fdisk and then formatting to ext4 is successful, I end up with a 300GB mountable file system. However, if I try to create a 500GB partition using the same process, the mkfs.ext4 command fails with:
“Discarding device blocks: failed - Input/output error” and
“Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: mkfs.ext4: Input/output error while writing out and closing file system”

Based on this not coming up in any of the discussions I’ve read about the drive, I’m assuming that this is not intended behavior, and that the output should be showing 200GB for each SSD as I expect (both in lsblk and ddcli). Physically, the cards I’ve received look like any other images I’ve seen of the cards online.

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on? Forgive me if this is known behavior, or I’m missing something obvious, but I’m stuck given my current knowledge. Please let me know what other information/tests/output would be most helpful in troubleshooting, thanks

@bizmo I have been seeing people talk about different issues with the F80s.
I did a search to see what was going on and found this. Similar issue.

Yes, there are a bunch of us that ran into this issue with a recent batch of F80’s. There’s been a lot of discussion on the discord. We have a working solution now and I’ll try to put together a full guide after the holiday. The general process is this:

Awesome, thank you both for the quick reply! Glad to know that it’s not a unique problem and that there’s a solution in place. Reading through the messages now :slight_smile:

@bizmo I finally got that guide posted. Reply to that thread if you come across any issues with the guide or if you get stuck on anything.

1 Like