SFF NAS/Plex Server w/ DAS

My drives stay very cool. Did you remove metal plate on the top of the cage?

My own update:

The cage fits within 4x5.25, but it isn’t a snug fit, very loose and has gaps on the sides.

I tried a sata cable from the backplane to eSATA on a synology, it did not read. My next step is to test the same sata-> eSATA on my HP N40L

AFAIK while backplane physical connectors are 2 SATA ports, the protocol is SAS thus it needs to be connected a SAS protocol interface such as a host bus adapter, not a SATA/eSATA protocol interface port.

1 Like

Yep; figured I’d try it just in case. A) It would benefit me more to have eSATA (I have Addonics PM bridge cards)
B) If one other person on the board wondered about it, I just saved them $35

Turns out I let the drives get too hot before plugging in the fan. Once I plugged in the fan starting from a reasonable temperature it keeps things cool.

1 Like

So I’ve been messing around with this for a few days. It does fit in 4x5.25 with the plates off, but it isn’t a proper fit.

My next step, which I’m going to do in the next week unless the group advises against it:

Daisy chain the 4x inline sata power connectors off of the HP 290’s 8-pin sata cable.

When I do this, I’m going to disconnect as much as possible (cd/sata drives, m.2, etc.) and leave just the CPU and wifi.

I’m not electrical enough to know what the output of the motherboard’s 8-pin sata is capable of, if supplying 6 3.5" hdd’s all with the same spin up time.

Hi, I was wondering how you would go about disconnecting the extra items? Are you just unplugging things or having to desolder/cut stuff?