I am a new member here at serverbuild. IT background and have worked with Myth and Plex for years now - so while not a linux guru, but def can build/work around instructions. The NAS would probably be more for serving 4K movies thru Plex but I am sure it will help with my NextCloud as well.
I am looking to build my first NAS server, but I do have multiple home servers (mainly CentOS), Portainer and docker containers, Plex, Nextcloud, etc
I got interested buying a Mac mini which in turn got me looking in building a 10G NAS server that would work with the Mac Mini
I have an existing ATX case which is currently running a H61iCafe mobo Celeron G530 processor, 4 Gb RAM
Now I am sure I can up the RAM and maybe run a NAS, but since I always go overboard and procrastinate later (lol) - I would thinking the following and would love recommendations about:
- Buying a motherboard that has 10Gbe capability
- Is it worth it? Can I instead make do with 2.5Gbe mobo? (4K streaming via Plex server)
- This makes me think - can I continue using 1G HP ProCurve switches and still push more than 1G? I read somewhere that with a Cat7 or Cat6a cables, people have gotten more than 1Gb
- I have few 2Tb and couple 8Tb drives currently - used them for over 5 yrs now. I understand that Unraid is popular since it allows addition of single drives with different capacities, but frankly once I build a NAS with say 2x 2Tb, 2x 8Tb and another 2x drives (12/14/16 Tb) - I don’t see myself adding more drives for another 5 odd yrs - so then it’s pretty much a comparison without that particular argument between the two.
- Recommendation of drives would be very much helpful - heard a lot a people buy re-certified ones but I am very skeptical.
- I read that we don’t need the “latest/greatest” processor - in fact a relatively older Xeon may be better suited since it can multi-thread and give more bang for the buck. I would love some recommendation pls.
Sorry - I know it’s a long rant of sorts but figured I would put everything out there so you all can make informed recommendations.