I’ve been lurking on here for a little while now and have been doing some research… I think I’m finally ready to take the plunge, I just wanted to share the build I’m considering and sanity check it before I start buying things. I have experience building gaming PCs, but have never built a server before.
What I want out of this server:
- Power efficiency – usage will be pretty low most of the time, would be nice to have low idle power draw.
- A bit of headroom for the future – I have a feeling that once I get started with this I’m going to want to do more and more with it…
- Light Plex/Jellyfin media streaming – only 1 or 2 streams at a time
- Small game server hosting – Minecraft, Valheim
- A bunch of Docker containers – nothing too demanding, but probably will be running 10-20 Docker containers at a time
Here’s the build I’ve come up with. I used the NAS Killer 5.0 guide:
- Case: Fractal Design Node 804 ($110)
- Motherboard: ASUS b85m-g ($70)
- CPU: Intel i7-4770t ($110)
- RAM: 2x8gb ddr3 pc3-12800u ($40)
- SSD: ADATA Ultimate Series: SU720 ($90)
- Hard Drives: 2x Toshiba (Dell) 4TB SATA3 7.2K 3.5“ HDD - MG04ACA400N ($100)
- PSU: EVGA 500W 80PLUS ($48)
- UPS: APC UPS 600VA ($60)
- OS: Unraid Basic ($59)
- Total: $687
How does this build look? Anything I’m missing/making a mistake on?
Thanks for all the great info on this forum!