Sanity check for my first server build

Hey there!

I’ve been lurking on here for a little while now and have been doing some research… I think I’m finally ready to take the plunge, I just wanted to share the build I’m considering and sanity check it before I start buying things. I have experience building gaming PCs, but have never built a server before.

What I want out of this server:

• Power efficiency – usage will be pretty low most of the time, would be nice to have low idle power draw.
  • A bit of headroom for the future – I have a feeling that once I get started with this I’m going to want to do more and more with it…
  • Light Plex/Jellyfin media streaming – only 1 or 2 streams at a time
  • Small game server hosting – Minecraft, Valheim
  • A bunch of Docker containers – nothing too demanding, but probably will be running 10-20 Docker containers at a time

Here’s the build I’ve come up with. I used the NAS Killer 5.0 guide:

• Case: Fractal Design Node 804 ($110)
  • Motherboard: ASUS b85m-g ($70)
  • CPU: Intel i7-4770t ($110)
  • RAM: 2x8gb ddr3 pc3-12800u ($40)
  • SSD: ADATA Ultimate Series: SU720 ($90)
  • Hard Drives: 2x Toshiba (Dell) 4TB SATA3 7.2K 3.5“ HDD - MG04ACA400N ($100)
  • PSU: EVGA 500W 80PLUS ($48)
  • UPS: APC UPS 600VA ($60)
  • Total: $687

How does this build look? Anything I’m missing/making a mistake on?

Thanks for all the great info on this forum!

I can’t comment on the whole package, but I also use that MB with a 4th gen i7, and it serves me very well.

Also can only speak to the MB and I am using a i5 with plenty of juice. Works great.

Keep in mind all the cables/fans you will need.

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses! I went ahead and bought the parts with some slight alterations, I’ll make sure to post a build log. :slight_smile:

1 Like