Rosewill 4U RSV-L4500 15 bay back in stock! - $135 shipped

i second and third this option.

Return.

will the above linked hotswap cage fit the l4500? i know that i wonā€™t actually need the hot swap feature but since itā€™s power/sata all in one i think that would work better for me. iā€™m getting more sas2 hdd and figured itā€™d be better cable management using the breakout cable from the hba and molex from the psu instead of getting the special breakout cable to use with sas drives that arenā€™t connected to a backplane. does that make sense or would it overall not really make a difference?

Pound that sucker out, good as new :slight_smile:
No, assuming you paid close to retail price, Iā€™d probably return it. I could probably fix it myself, but probably wouldnā€™t be happy either unless I got it for a steep discount.

I paid $126 shipped. Iā€™m debating on returning it or not. The biggest issue(other than the obvious) is the lock on the front doesnā€™t have the key. Iā€™m pretty sure I replace that but what kind of dingbat keeps the key??

As for the banged up rear, itā€™s not too terrible. The case still closes and I was planning on using the case as a DAS. Iā€™ve bent case io ports before,not this bad, and it was a simple ā€œpush it back in placeā€.

The other issue I have is,although not that big of a deal, is that I donā€™t have a box thatā€™s big enough and not banged up or material to actually protect the case(not that it really matters). Which means being more out of pocket(quick search,seems around $40). Pretty sure amazon will cover return shipping or something but it seems like May be more of a hassle that spending a few minutes being careful with a dead blow.

Only you can answer whatā€™s worth it to you. Given the current market on these, might improve the willingness to make it work.

Given how Iā€™m married to someone working at that place, my advice is to throw it back in the box it came in, along with the same dunnage, wrap it in enough packing tape that makes you feel comfortable that it wonā€™t fall apart in return shipping, and go through the return process and make sure to indicate itā€™s a damaged product. You should have no issue whatsoever getting a prepaid return label.

Any recommendations for a 12+ bay rack mount case? Preferably similar to this one so I can use my psu. Or a single psu SM or something

I figured as much. Like thereā€™s really no packing in there. Underneath the bubble wrap was an empty hard drive box and what Iā€™m guessing was a motherboard box and random styrofoam bits. Iā€™ll take another look at it tomorrow and see what I can do,if anything, to the damage.

Iā€™m not the most knowledgable person on that front, but from what I understand the market is slim pickings right now. Thatā€™s why you see people asking about the mining version. I know of no other comparables even in the same realm of that price.

What seller did you purchase from? Iā€™m guessing a 3rd party? Was it fulfilled by Amazon at least?

I was looking at that a bit ago. Pretty sure It was 3rd party because it was listed as used but it said fulfilled by amazon services llc.

If it was fulfilled from Amazon, you should not have found that stuff in the box. The return should have gone through their warehouse dept, re-wrapped and possibly re-boxed to get ready to be sold. A lot of the warehouse deals happen because the manufacturer doesnā€™t even want the item back.

Based on you not mentioning this being a warehouse deal, Iā€™m betting it was 3rd party sale and not even fulfilled by amazon. If thatā€™s the case, youā€™ll have to go through the seller to arrange shipping back. I avoid those sales on Amazon at all costs simply because itā€™s too much of a hassle of dealing with those people.

Was it prime shipping or standard. Did it take a while to arrive ?

Looked again and it says sold by amazon, remembered it wrong. It was listed as prime but took about a week to get here(5-6 days). When I clicked the above link in this thread it said one left with prime shipping. Starting to sound like the best option is to try and fix this thing

Yea, Iā€™m struggling with this one. Your order looks like you bought from Amazon. But the package indicates the exact opposite. Itā€™s hard to recomend something when the two contradict each other so much.

I would personally try and schedule a return before you do anything. If you can get a prepaid label, then you have your backup plan secure. I would then try and fix it. Worst case scenario, the repair fails and you send it back free for a full refund. Maybe an hour wasted. Best case, you fix it up and execute your original plan. Donā€™t ship it back, it wonā€™t affect you negatively.

Unlike the above experience, I got the one from ebay that I linked up above for $150. I took the bird-in-hand approach because Iā€™ve been waiting a while.

Thankfully ā€œseller refurbishedā€ = BNIB because it was packaged identically to unboxing videos. I rarely luck out on these and usually end up with busted stuff, but for once karma sided with me.

I like the layout, canā€™t wait to transplant my xpenology tower onto it. The fans are quiet, but Iā€™m still considering replacing them if alternatives are even better.

Ok, hereā€™s my general impression.

You could just get it over with and go with this: $259 RSV-L4412

You could consider the L4000C (edited from 4500) with this or this or this, but that last option gets you close to the cost of the pre-assembled $259 one.

The biggest thing youā€™re missing from the L4500 15 bay proper is that big metal sheet-thing on top of the cages. I think thatā€™s really the piece that keeps the bays in place. If you donā€™t plan to move it a lot (why would you), then you could get by with a home-brew version. I would caution that the hot-swap racks get a bad rap on Amazon

Also edit: The lid would hit the fan board, youā€™d have to move it

I still donā€™t think hot swap is worth it. The fan wall and +3 drive capacity of the L4500 is just superior.

Agreed, not unless you have a whole data center of these and youā€™re changing drives every other week. I do however like the cages with toolless HD clips.

I like the n400 but they donā€™t provide enough of those clips. Couldnā€™t find a source online for them either.

Update:

literally 60 seconds with a dead blow and seems all is fine.

2 Likes

Good deal! Looks good. Couldnā€™t even tell there was previous damage.

https://www.newegg.com/black-rosewill-rsv-l4500/p/N82E16811147164

Back in stock $189.99

At that price, Iā€™d still wait