Hey guys… First of all I apologies upfront if I approach any wrong term related to hardware since I’m totally a newbie on server hardware stuff
I will explain exactly what I need and hopefully someone could point me to the right direction in terms of what hardware parts I should pick.
Virtualization server by using proxmox as a hypervisor platform .
I intend to have 2 environments: one for network security lab experiments, and a second to install docker containers microapps for some fun stuff.
Network security lab environment:
I will run some network security software appliances such as:
- Cisco GNS
- Sophos XG ( RAM and Cores eater)
- Fortigate (RAM and Cores eate)
Those VMs will be only for some lab experiments. I will also run some tests with those appliances other VMs such as:
- Windows server ( Activity directory, DNS and DHCP services enabled)
- Windows desktop host for test those services )
- Ubuntu server
Fun environment It will include the following:
- File server ( I’m between OpenMediaVualt and FreeNAS)
Docker containers :
Plex ( don’t need super crazy transcoding)
My main concern on this build is to make something:
- Power enough to run those services above
- Less noisy as possible, as I will place this server in my living room.
- Resealable combination of resourceful and low power consumption
- Need recommendation of a tower case that has built-in some sort of cable management already done, as I don’t have experience assembling computer.
- I need to be able to do ZFS disks pool with a SAS controller
From the top of my head, that is all. I really hope you guys can help me, and if possible with recommendations including the most basic accessories that I will need for this build, such as what cables and connectors I need to buy. And most importantly more low a budget as possible, with used parts.
Looking forward to hearing an input.