Random stack traces bringing down entire network (Anniversary NSFW Build with Unraid)

Hi all! Having some weird issues with my build. Everything has been working fine for quite a while until recently I’ve started having random kernel panics: Example 1, Example 2

To make things even weirder - this also kills my network. Seriously. If this stack trace is up, none of my ethernet devices work and my network switch is a giant turd until I reboot the server.

Here are the server stats:

I used JDM’s O.G. Anniversary NSFW build build with the following stats:

GA-7PESH2 GIGABYTE Intel Rev1.0
32GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC
2x INTEL XEON E5-2660
HP 24 Bay 3GB SAS Expander Card

and a hodgepodge of hard drives:

1 x 8TB SAS (parity)
3 x 4TB SAS
4 x 2TB SAS
1 x 6TB SAS
256 gb SSD (cache)

Using Unraid Plus 6.8.3

The server is hard wired to a network switch, which then sends Ethernet throughout my house (and to some Eeros)

I can’t really reproduce it since it happens randomly, but here is stuff I’ve tried when I can:

• Ran Memtest (which passed) and tried running the server with 2 of my 8GB chips only, and then swapping out with the other two when it panicked again to see if it was a certain chip.

• Messed with a whole slew of network settings in Docker. Here is my current setup if that might help:

• Turned on syslogs which… doesn’t show anything until the computer restarts :man_facepalming:

I appreciate you making it this far! I offer my dog with his head stuck in a tree as payment:

1 Like

Is your IPMI plugged in and assigned an unused address?

It’s actually not plugged in at all. I think I unplugged it during a troubleshooting session and never re-plugged it in. Should it be?

Anyone have any ideas? I can deliver more goods!

1 Like

You should plug it in, and assign it an unused IP in your BIOS and in your router.

Gotcha - is that to get more information when it crashes again? Or would that prevent a network lockup?

Your IPMI interface is likely trying to use the same IP as your router.

My god… thats genius! Thank you! I’ll try that!

1 Like