R710 UNRAID server replacement/upgrade path options

I am currently running UNRAID my R710 [2x X5675/96Gb DDR3ECC], but I am now completely out of drive expansion. the 6 sleds are WD 8Tb Reds for the array, 3x 256Gb NVME (across 2 cards), 2x 256Gb SSD 850Pro (running off the internal SATA ports and now running on an external PS).

My use case is Plex in a docker with the “-arrs” running, LMS, and drive hosting for Windows/Retropie/GameEx machines.

I’d like to add more drive space to my server in some way, shape, or form.

I currently have a bunch of parts laying around and really don’t know the best plan of attack, keep/sell/trade/??, like the following:

• MSI Z87-G45 with a i7-4590
  • Supermicro X9XCL-F with a E3-1220v2
  • Asus X99 Deluxe with a i7-6700k
  • Asus X99E WS/USB 3.1 with an i7-6900k
  • 8x 4Gb DDR4-2133 RAM sticks
  • LSI SAS 9271-4i Controller
  • Dell PERC H700 SAS Controller
  • 2x Seasonic Platinum 860 Power supplies
  • 2x ATI W7100 GfX cards
  • Nvidia K5200 Quadro GfX card

I do not have any loyalty to any of these items unless they help the greater direction of my next/or improved server.

I have seen the newer builds listed here and would love to go in the NSFW builds with a L4500 or similar, but I defer judgement to the forum to be sure I’m not wasting gear I’ve got, underbuilding, or overbuilding.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you all in advance.

You have a couple of different options available to you. Since you already appear to have things running on the R710 you could just build a DAS and expand that way using whatever case pleases you.

Alternately you can build another server in whatever case you like and build pure storage. Since the R710 is already handling your compute it wouldn’t have to be very powerful to take care of just storage needs.

Finally another option would be a full server build.

Yeah I would just grab a LSI 9201-16e and hook up a DAS. That will add tons of storage space options.

I would definitely sell any hardware you have that wont be used, as that stuff only goes down.