pfSense Port Forwarding with DelugeVPN

I am getting extremely slow downloads/uploads (~200 KiB/s) with delugevpn container and SNORT seems to not be a fan of my setup either.

Gear:

• Verizon Fios 1g up/down to pfsense bare-metal.
  • NAS Unraid with DelugeVPN container (PIA VPN)
    -Radarr/Sonarr/etc. containers using DelugeVPN container as Proxy

What I’ve tried so far:

• Deluge incoming/outgoing port is not being used by anything else. Port 55000
  • ItConfig added to deluge in an attempt to speed things up. No results.
  • Using Jackett with a mix of indexers (public) same slow result on all indexers.
    -Currently don’t have access to any private ones

I’ve read elsewhere that this might be due to not having proper Port Forwarding setup. Could this be the case even if I am getting “some” traffic through?
- Would the Port Forwarding setup in pfsense be different in anyway since the VPN is active on the DelugeVPN container?
- I’ve followed spaceinvaders and lawrense systems tutorials with no luck. Maybe I’m missing something with activating NAT?
- Lastly what modifications would need to be made to SNORT?

Thank you!

Since you are using the VPN in a container, pfSense doesn’t have a role. A port has to be forwarded to you by the PIA server first, and then your container listens on that port.

Port forwarding has no impact on speed itself. It just gives you a potentially wider pool of peers you can connect to, which indirectly helps with speed only because you can possibly connect to more sources.

Run a speed test through your VPN. That will tell you what your best top speed can be.

Actually speed will be limited to the upload speed of the peers you connect to.

Thanks for the insight Bob. I’ll check out how to port forward through PIA.

Thanks again!

Haven’t closed this one out as the more I read up, the more it seems that my deluge container should be doing all of this already. I am able to get a Port from my VPN, but again I believe it is already in the script of the container. If I do need to add in the port from my VPN, where would I add it?

Speed Test through VPN isn’t even close to speeds without it, but I still think I would be averaging above 224 KiB/s (???)

Pictures of the Deluge Container setup:

The PIA website has instructions of adding a scrip to docker for the Port Forwarding, but again I would think(?) that is already in this container as this container is both deluge and the VPN.

Thoughts??

A speed test won’t use an incoming port, so it won’t be affected by port forwarding. That just gives you a benchmark for what you can expect for best speed assuming that you can connect to the right peers.

You aren’t forwarding the port into the container, so it isn’t something you would configure on the container itself.

If PIA is configured to forward you a port and it is also enabled on the VPN client within the container, then the last step is to configure deluge to listen on that port. With both the vpn and torrent client running in the same container, everything you need to touch is also within the container.

Thanks for the follow up Bob. So would I set both the inbound/outbound to the same port? The port that PIA gives me?

Thanks!

Outgoing doesn’t matter. Just have the incoming match whatever port PIA assigns to your connection. It may or may not change occasionally depending on PIA’s policies.

Thanks Bob

Should have gotten into the Logs in the first place. Rookie mistake. Looks like DelugeVPN is smart enough to assign new IP/Port Forward for VPN. Ports are good. So the speed is not a port issue.

I’ll close this out as solved since it’s in pfsense, but if anyone has deluge speed suggestions I am all ears!!!