[Official] T-Mobile LTE Home Internet - experience log

@JDM_WAAAT Did you had to pay your first monthly bill/50 dollars upon ordering T-Mobile Home Internet or after your initial setup at home when you received your modem? Since your wife had to open the account with T-Mobile as an new customer, are you guys paying other fees like taxes or is it included in the 50 per month?

Has anyone received the newer version of the gateway that T-Mobile has released?

I wonder if I can ask them for the upgraded unit.

Taxes are never included in quoted prices of services like this. They vary from state to state. We paid for the first month of service up front. There are no other hidden fees, just state tax.

Thanks for the info bud.

5 years ago my Dad retired out in the sticks. To get him internet we got a modem and sim service from https://4gantennashop.com/, a separate $300 booster and a huge yagi in the attic. Too bad even with that setup he canā€™t reach T-Mobile because this is a great deal!

Heā€™s had a couple of different plans out there and one thing Iā€™ve learned is that unlimited usually means unlimited for 20-50 gb/mo. Anyone experience throttling with this?

I used 100GB last month and didnā€™t experience any throttling. Service area is downtown Denver.

Old thread but TMobile offers a business version of this. Depending on your location, the pricing might be the same. For me it was, $50 for unlimited data. Best part is you can get an a static IP for $3/month which provides a gateway that can be used in bridge mode (no NAT).

1 Like

Iā€™m considering switching to a business line as the Sagemcom I have with TMHI has a gimped LAN port. I get half the speed from that versus the built-in Wifi6. I have my entire home network behind an ER-X.

Even with the gimped LAN I get better consistent service than I did with Starlink.

I have a Dish 5G setup using a Netgear hotspot. Project Genesis. It isnā€™t fast enough for a complete home solution, but I use the unlimited data to get around aspects of my Cox data cap.

Consider checking Project Genesis out if you need ā€œa connectionā€ with 5G Unlimited data. Speeds, however, are going to be dependent on tower traffic

Are you hosting anything off of your Tmobile connection? Iā€™m curious of your experience with it.

Just got my business modem in with a static IP and in bridge mode. I initially have run into some trouble with connections through my reverse proxy that work with my Spectrum primary connection. I failed over to Tmobile for a couple of days and ensured that DNS was updated correctly, but Iā€™m still having trouble connecting to the services Iā€™m hosting externally.

Do you know if a call to Tmobile might be needed for them to allow port 80 and 443 requests?

My speeds for Tmobile have been pretty good. Almost as good as my coax connection with Spectrum.

This is what I get at the moment with the ER-X behind the T-mob gateway:

I do get faster speeds on Wifi6 directly connected to the gateway:

I am currently getting my OPNSense box all set up and when testing from there I get close to the Wifi6 speeds through ethernet which will be nice for the rest of the home network.

I just have the Home internet with the Sagemcom gateway. I use Cloudflared and Nginx Proxy Manager on my unRaid server so I can access my self hosted services like NextCloud, Home Assistant, Bitwarden, Blue Iris, etc. Working great so far.

Assuming youā€™re using the software bridging of the ports, this is close to the max itā€™s capable of.

It can go higher if you use a switch for switching and the ER-X correctly set up for only routing.

I know the ER-X can do much faster when I had Starlink (when it was fast). There are lots of weird issues on the ethernet ports on the Sagemcom gateways.

So is the gateway also routing? Or is it the modem you referred to before?

Sagemcom Gateway is only routing via itā€™s wifi though nothing is connected to itā€™s wifi. I have the ER-X connected to the Sagemcom gateway ethernet and itā€™s doing all the routing. I have my unifi APs all setup behind the ER-X. Again when I did some testing on the OPNSense box I am setting up I get almost full speeds thru the ethernet ports. The ER-X WAN port is set up for DHCP. I iperf tested the cables and got full gigbit speeds on them. Iā€™m not the only person with reported Sagemcom 5688w ethernet speed issues. Iā€™m hoping to swap out the ER-X to the OPNSense box this weekend.