[Official] Supermicro X11SCV-Q LGA1151 Mini-ITX - Quick build

Same problem with my old Travla C159 (short 1U). But it allows me to hook up a USB keyboard & mouse and then have a port for my USB key.

I just picked up this board for the Chenbro build, and just realized I was gonna be short by 2 SATA ports in order to make use of the 2x 2.5ā€™ā€™ spots in the case.

I see that this board has 1x M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 that Iā€™ll be using for an actual NVME drive, and another M.2 PCI-E slot for what the manual calls ā€œM.2 PCI-E 3.0 x1 CNVi Slot (E Key 2230)ā€ that Iā€™d like to use for SATA port expansion.

I found these two options on Amazon, but Iā€™m not sure which is the appropriate one, or if either is at all, since this M.2 terminology they use is kinda all over the place.

Can anyone point me at which of these is the correct option? Or if there is another that you recommend?

Did you see this post earlier in the thread? [Official] Supermicro X11SCV-Q LGA1151 Mini-ITX - Quick build - #7 by Go0oSer

1 Like

Thank you!!
That looks perfect, indeed I missed it before.
Good timing, was considering wire cut & splice.

Adding some references to summarize in case it is helpful to anyone elseā€¦

Adapter:

Official from Supermicro:

For any interested parties, assuming Iā€™m reading correctly, the manual says that the smaller M.2 2230 slot can handle either PCIE[7], USB2.0, or CNVi.

Iā€™ll pick up one of the $14 2230 Key A+E PCIE to SATA devices and give it a shot. There are several that all use the JMB582 chip. The one from ChenYang has a heatsink on it, so that seems like a good bet.

Without the board on-hand yet, I have no idea what the clearance might be in the Chenbro case for these other interesting devices that fit this slot, but anyone else with this board and the space have a few other interesting options for expansion that Iā€™ve stumbled upon.

Oneā€™s a USB2.0+PCIE breakout/riser, and another is a vertical adapter for a traditional M.2 Key M SSD. You could find one in the short 2230 style for an additional NVME SSD port on this motherboard. But if there is no clearance, but there is still some room in the case in another direction, thereā€™s a cabled version that accepts all manner of of Key M sizes, and you can snap off the unneeded sections of the adapter if your Key M adapter is a shorter length in case the fit is tight.

I was just about to post reply, I agree that you probably want this one:

A+E card should work in E-key slot, and 2230 is the correct size.
Although I havenā€™t tried myself.

I used this adapter - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFYSNVL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details to adapt the m.2 2230 slot to a Mini PCIe Google Coral adapter.

Awesome, thank you so much for the confirmation. Whatā€™s your use case for Coral in a home setup like this?

Frigate.

Did you ever figure this out? Besides your power switch being in the wrong spot, I have a green light solid, and cannot for the life of me get this thing to output video

I donā€™t know if anyone replied to you, but you are plugging the power pins into the TPM header, not the front panel header.

Iā€™ve had this board up and running for 5-6 months. I wanted to use the second Ethernet port. But Iā€™m having issues. First, both on JPL1 and JPL2 have pins 1 & 2 jumpered which should be enabled.

When powered off I get a connection light on both ports. But after I boot (Proxmox) only LAN1 is still connected and gets IP. Running lshw -c network says that eno2 is DISABLED.

Is there a BIOS setting somewhere that is disabling LAN2 (eno2)? Iā€™ve pulled the jumper on JPL2 and replaced it a couple of times. That doesnā€™t seem to make any difference.

This X11SCV-Q motherboard has to be the most finicky that I have encountered. Worked for about 6months for me. Then wouldnā€™t boot. I bandaided the situation with a ATX board that I had laying around and just ran it beside this mini-itx case. It took about a year to get back to this project.

Swapped CPU & RAM and it was back alive. Decided to start fresh and install latest TrueNAS Core 13.0. During boot up to do the install the board reboots every time. Canā€™t even get to the TrueNAS installer. Flashed latest BIOS, swapped CPU & RAM again and tried older versions of TrueNAS and board reboots in the same place every time. I bought a 2nd board and it also has the same issue. I can install Ubuntu and TrueNAS Scale (linux) so I feel that there is some issue with BSD with this motherboard. I tried all the random suggestions in this thread.

Back to running with my bandaid until I buy some different mini-itx motherboard with 5 SATA ports. Likely looking at a ASROCK Z370.

1 Like

I just came to this thread to post some of my concerns and saw your post nearly a year ago. I used a x540-T2 in mine so I never used the onboard nics but here is a screenshot of my BIOS if it helps. Advanced > PCIe/PCI Configuration.