[Official] Supermicro X11SCV-Q LGA1151 Mini-ITX - Quick build

Yep, orange port 0….was mentioned above that power should not be required… I pulled spare M2 NVME out of one of my unused HP290’s (where I also stole the CPU for this) so will just use it… I wasn’t married to the SATADOM idea, but thought it might be fun to play with… like I said, it might have just been sold a dud unless something obvious that I’m missing. Not the end of the world. I’ve pissed away a few bucks in a lot worse ways.

Could it be that your SATADOM doesn’t support supermicro power? You might need the power cord afterall.

1 Like

That’s 100% possible. There’s a mini power slot neat the SATA ports if you want to try it.

Correction - they do offer a standard I/O shield for this board, it’s the MCP-260-00136-0N. Somehow the Supermicro tech missed its existence, but it’s orderable.

Anyone got a suggestion for a power supply that will fit in a short 1U rack? It will only have to power the MB, couple of fans, a M.2, and 1 or 2 SSDs.

So my G5400T from that seller came in with a badly bent up corner. I had a 6th gen i5 laying around which is socket 1151 but it won’t post. Manual says 8th gen compatible so It appears 6th won’t work. I’m waiting for another 8th gen cpu.

What type of PSU does the chassis use?

6th/7th gen CPUs are not compatible with this motherboard, only 8th/9th gen.

There is an old Travla ENP-2322B 220 Watt Power Supply in the case ATM. It’s about 6" x 3.25" x 1U. It only has a 20 pin motherboard connector.

That should work fine unless you’re really set on switching PSUs.

It doesn’t look like the old, and I mean 20+ year old, power supply works to me. I’m a noob on power supplies, so let me say why I think that;

There is a 20-pin connector, and a 4-pin. But they aren’t designed to be put together in a 24-pin connector. The plastic shell is too thick and so the pin spacing is wrong. Also, I tried to just plug the 4-pin in the MB and it didn’t want to fit. So, I’m thinking it isn’t really a 20+4 power supply.

If that 8-pin EPS is needed, the old power supply doesn’t even have one.

That’s why I was asking if anyone had a recommendation for a flex ATX (?) power supply.

The 4-pin connector is not for the 24-pin, it’s for the CPU power.

So, we all agree, I need a new/different power supply for this mother board.

No, that’s not what I’m saying.

Most motherboards will run fine only on 20 pin power for the main ATX connector, and on 4 pin for CPU.

What hardware do you plan on running?

I was thinking of going with a beefier CPU than your build, an i5 or perhaps i7. Full time it will be running the house firewall and a small NAS. Then, I’d like to use it for a VM / Container lab.

Something like this should work fine, then!

I’ve tried two 8th gen CPUs in this board, one of them the JDM-recommended G5400T Pentium posted on tech-deals a week and change ago. Two PSUs, one absolutely known to work as it was pulled from my gaming rig. With memory or without, the board refuses to start at all, no blink codes, beep codes, fan spins, nothing. As if it’s just braindead. I’m not missing anything obvious to get this board going, am I? No jumpers, weirdness with the power on switch, anything simple?

Starting without memory is not really a valid test. How are you turning the board on? Do you have any pics to share?

re: memory: I started with memory, took it out and tried the other slot as well just to see if the behavior changed at all (it didn’t).

Turning the board on: The board shows a solid green light right next to the front panel pin header. I connected the power button to pins 1-2 as directed in the manual and tried powering on. The power button did nothing. I confirmed the PSU will turn on with a jumper between green/black as expected. I used a jumper to short pins 1-2 on the front panel header in case of a faulty button, no luck there either.

I then tried a known working PSU pulled from my gaming rig and tried the same tests again. Suspecting a bad CPU, I ordered the Pentium, then tried all the same tests again; no luck. I checked all the CPU slot pins under high magnification and could find no bent pins or obstructions.

I finally configured the board to the absolute minimum it’d need to do anything (as shown in pics) and tried again, with no success. My last attempt is how you see it here.

(note: thermal paste removed for pictures, but never tested without paste)

Thanks for any advice.

I experienced similar issues with the power switch. I found that the motherboard is a bit finicky and requires you to firmly seat the atx, cpu power and also the power cord on the back of the case. As a work around, I set the BIOS to power on after a power failure.

Also, my X11scv shipped with BIOS 1.4 and I updated it to version 1.5. I highly suggest reading the instructions carefully as the update requires moving a jumper on the board for the BIOS flash to work.