[Official] serverbuilds.net CARE PACKAGE GIVEAWAY (pfSense + more) - ends 1/1/21

ENTRY

I loved this guide as it taught me what to put in my first Unraid build. Dual xeon e5-2650 v2, 48Gb ram, and a total of 66Tb or HDDs. This guide lead me to Unraid which has been the best server OS i have ever used.

1 Like

ENTRY

Favorite thread:
NAS Killer 4.0

Honestly, I’m still a bit of a server noob, so the NAS killer guide is good for me to see what a “standard” build looks like, and to give me some ideas for my server. Although, I’m constantly bouncing between potential future projects.

Prize preference: definitely Package 1. The HP 290 would be great for transcoding - right now, my server uses an Athlon X2 245, so transcodes are unbearably slow.

1 Like

#ENTRY SFF NAS/Plex Server w/ DAS

Plex and servers is what got me into this group.

Entry

(preferred #1)

While there been so many helpful threads including this one (pointing out threads i have missed), and many already been posted i wanted to share something a popular. i am grateful for this thread on the right rails needed for my rosewill case. i had bought a rack locally and been waiting to get everything set up right. no clue on rails before i got the rack. i am glad i havent had to buy a bunch of wrong items before i found what would work. i point this thread out because while popular threads like the hp 290 are great, guides and helpful posts for less known things have been very help.

1 Like

Entry

This has become the link I send to anyone who’s willing to listen when they’re building new Plex servers or looking for advice. It’s been a game changer.

Preference: pack #1

ENTRY

Just recently signed up but have been reading the forums for a while.
My Favourite guide has to be [Guide] Remote Gaming on Unraid
This is one of the most compete and well thought out guides I’ve ever followed and really takes away the guess work when setting up. I appreciate the time and effort you all put in to help the others better understand.

Would be amazing to win the pfsense prize as that’s always something I’ve wanted to tackle but do not currently have the hardware for the project.

ENTRY

I used a lot of guides over the past month but this one saved my ass. The first time I built and unraid machine, I changed the appdata default folder before doing anything else so I didn’t have to follow this guide. When my unraid thumb drive died I forgot to do this initial step so I relied on this guide to help me. You guys always have guides for stuff I’m looking for and I’m so thankful for all the help from the community.

1 Like

ENTRY

I’m actually new to the forum but I’ve been hanging out in the discord server for a couple of years. The discord has helped out in the past with some technical issues I had the past. Sorry I don’t have any comment on any particular post here. I’m sure I’ve used some article on here as a reference for my current build and I’ll be back here when I feel like upgrading my server.

If I did win, I’d settle for package 2. I am still happy with my current server build. I could use some better hardware for my music production ultra mini desktop (a Chuwi Larkbox).

Thanks.

1 Like

ENTRY

This really is the definitive guide to Quicksync transcoding. Great writeup with full in depth explanations and examples. I forward friends and users to this guide whenever hardware transcoding comes up!

That being said preference for Package 1 for a nice pfsense/quicksync box.

ENTRY

I am away from home right now but when I get back in a couple of months I’m going to make a new NAS/Plex server build following the OTiS guide

My current NAS/Plex is a Frankenstein build with super old parts (Phenom II x4 processor, DDR2 RAM, IDE 40GB OS drive). It badly needs an update.

1 Like

ENTRY

I learned on #non-tech-deals-chat that Jaywire is a god of questionable photography.
Jokes aside, I learned a lot. Especially on #builds:unraid-gaming from @Riggi and @JDM_WAAAT that helped guide me to getting the right stuff for my server build, which is my first computer build ever. It feels like there’s such little meaningful content out there on simplifying server builds for useful applications for the everyman. And there’s just not a comparison when it comes to the responsiveness, accuracy, and enthusiasm in this community.

2 Likes

ENTRY

I’ve been out of the forum for a while, but I always enjoyed looking through the builds. It looks like I’ll be looking through the Plex Transcoding Builds because my current setup isn’t running as it should. On the discord I’ll ask questions about hardware and have gotten great responses in the #technology:hardware channel.

If I get a preference I’d prefer Package 2

Thanks JDM for this amazing giveaway and all of the great content.

1 Like

ENTRY

While I was building my replacement NAS/Plex server, I learned a fair bit of good information from the #builds:anniversary-nsfw forums along with the associated Discord channels.

The guides on the site (particularly the SNAFU guide) provided a lot of good information all in a single place and really introduced me to the serverbuilds.net community. Now it’s one of my goto Discord servers.

1 Like

ENTRY

JDM’s thorough guide inspired me to quickly grab one of these eBay U-NAS cases while available. Over the holiday I built the system (forum thread soon!) and I couldn’t be happier! JDM did an amazing job explaining the build and how to avoid pitfalls before they happen.

1 Like

ENTRY

Thanks to this thread and shuccable deals on discord I’ve picked up way more drives than I thought I could ever use haha. I lurk the discord a lot and really appreciate all the effort you guys put into the builds and helping others out. Awesome community. Happy New Year to everyone!

1 Like

ENTRY

While the HP 290 thread caught a lot of my attention, I reference this thread the most. [Official] Master List of Guides and Resources

1 Like

ENTRY

The Unraid Gaming guide really opened my eyes to options for putting a gaming rig [back] together. Rather than building out a full separate system that would only see part time use, thanks to the guide, I dipped my toes into Parsec/Moonlight this year and never looked back.

Merry New Year, all!

1 Like

ENTRY

Hands down, the most useful post from this community this year for me was the NAS Killer 4.0 based on the LGA1155 socket. I had a Node 304 case from a previous mini-itx build and thought it would be perfect for converting into a low powered NAS. As I got into it, and with great feedback from the users in that thread I ultimately switched to a Node 202 case with a custom 3D printed bracket to hold the HDD’s in the GPU bay.

Huge shout out also to the BST channels/posts for allowing me to get my hands on the mobo, cpu and RAM required for this sleek little build. I’m still fussing around with getting it all set up, but hope to share it with the community in the new year. Maybe it will even inspire others the way this community has inspired me. Stay healthy!

1 Like

This is one of the forum post that changed my idea of what I could do with spare parts. It made what seemed to be out of reach possible for a decent price. It also gave me a dam eBay addiction.
I’ve added a quick sync to my 4.0 for Plex and I’m as happy as I could be. I could not thank the people that run this site enough for putting this info out there.

1 Like

ENTRY

for me it is all of the original NSFWallet forum. That forum has continued to be an invaluable resource as I continue to work on mine. This forum/group just continues to improve over time.