[Official] serverbuilds.net CARE PACKAGE GIVEAWAY (pfSense + more) - ends 1/1/21

ENTRY

I was wanting a new computer for general use since the power supply in my old one gave out. I don’t game so wasn’t needing anything fancy and this deal fit.
I’d prefer prize #1 since I’m looking to upgrade my network at home (currently running with just an ASUS RT-AC66U) and think it’d be a great pfSense box.

1 Like

ENTRY

[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

I really enjoyed reading this article on transcoding. I have a few clients that are outside of my network that need transcoding. I had a basic understanding of how it worked but the guide really cleared it up for me. A while ago I wanted to purchase a p2000 for hardware transcoding but since my funds were limited I never did. Then when reading this article I realized the same goal could be accomplished with the quicksync method. I heard of people talking about it on reddit and other forums but never really understood what it is. I havent gotten around do getting a quicksync box, just because other things in life have come up. But when I’m ready to go that route I will use this guide to set it up! Thanks JDM!

Also in general your builds are what inspired me to go with unraid. In te past I used freenas but it was very complicated and confusing, at least for a linux noob like myself. So, just a general shoutout to you and your builds that enabled me to make a home nas and also a plex server that streams to family and friends. Without you none of it would be possible.
Also, I would prefer package 1, as I dont yet have a quicksync box.

Thanks again for putting on this giveaway and for everything in general JDM!

1 Like

ENTRY

Ever since I watched Linus Tech Tips video on 7 gamers 1 cpu I remember thinking "well thats awesome but i could never afford to do something like that, but then i found the JDM_WAAT reddit and my whole view on enterprise server hardware changed.
Watching this build come together gives me hope for the future when I’ll be able to do a similar build.
Thank you for all you do JDM.
I would prefer Prize #1 as I plan to build a nas in the next month or so.

1 Like

ENTRY

I used the guide word for word to get my transcoding for PLEX going per the JDM way. Works great and PLEX runs smooth. Never would have been able to figure it out without this guide. Thanks for the great guides, resources, and insights on all things server or tech. Have purchased many things at a discount thanks to this great community.

(preference is package #1)

1 Like

ENTRY

I got this for my sister, and she’s absolutely loved every moment of using it- proud to have introduced someone else to the glorious PCMR.

ENTRY

Supermicro 45 bay DAS - SAS2, w/ caddys

I ended up buying this, and have begun the process of filling it up with drives. Lots of expansion!!

Got everything set up, which spurred me to drop freenas and just use ubuntu with docker containers for running everything, and my system is as stable as its ever been.

2 Likes

ENTRY

I’ve been a long time lurker of the NAS Killer builds, but the timing hasn’t been right yet for me to pull the trigger on building one. I have an old 2-bay Synology that is nearly full and I’m concerned about the disks failing if I attempt a storage expansion. I was considering a purchase of another Synology until I came across this forum via Reddit. Thanks for the great content and giving me a path forward!

1 Like

ENTRY

ive read this post over and over again. each time, i read a little tidbit of information to help with my build. the biggest a-ha moment was that you can get a 1U chenbro and stick it into a case. i dont have any racks or any plans for racks, but have a case sitting in the corner or closet is perfect especially with the noise levels.

1 Like

ENTRY

Undeniably the thing that attracted me to the forums and one that continues to hold my interest is the HP 290-p0043w Owner’s Thread. JDM_WAAAT has a following and for good reason. He continues to attract like minded individuals to share and learn from. I’ve been amazed with my first HP 290 build and how it does exactly what I need for Plex while being low powered and a transcoding powerhouse. Merry Christmas everyone. I appreciate each of your posts and help you have provided me as I enjoy this hobby.

Package #1 Preference

ENTRY

This thread is what brought me to the serverbuilds.net forum. I have gained a ton of knowledge here. I purchased a HP 290 to tinker with and would love to get another one.

My prize preference is for package #1.

ENTRY

Was searching for a new gaming headset and your video review and Tech Deal post helped me snag a super solid headset at a good deal. Love them! Thanks JDM_WAAT, ServerBuilds admins, and ServerBuilds community!

1 Like

ENTRY

The NAS Killer 4.0 build guide got me started down the path to learning more than I ever thought I would about SAS drives, LSI boards, Passmark scores, Plex and Unraid. I now have a franken-machine that serves as a Plex box and NAS, thanks to everyone here in the ServerBuilds community.

1 Like

ENTRY

The CPU compendium in that post helped me discover a cheap LGA 1150 processor that I could use to turn an old PC into a IDS/IPS server. Thank you!

I would prefer package 1. There are a number of projects I’d like to tackle, and this could definitely help!

1 Like

ENTRY

This thread convinced me to pick one these up.
I was intending to use it as a docker host to run various containers, but currently it is being used as a Windows desktop for my kids. It works great for them to play around on.

I would love to win package 1 to set up a dedicated low power docker host.

1 Like

Entry

Both the original post by JDM_WAAAT and the followup posts by the community members were especially helpful! I pretty much followed the guide to a T. I don’t participate much, but I still actively read each post daily. I’m in awe of everyone’s ability to keep with up the changes and can’t wait to see what the next few years bring!

1 Like

ENTRY

My favorite thread is the one that brought me here:

I love guides like these, they give a great starting point for users to jump in at. Also, knowing the performance at each cost point is pretty good to know.

1 Like

ENTRY

This led me to understand that my big beefy server with dual XEONs didn’t have Quicksync and I’m now considering a new build with all the corrections from mistakes I and other people have made. I have a large Plex server and want to be able to serve more people than I currently have.
Preference would be package 1.

ENTRY

While I will only make 1 link, there is much more and this community that I have utilized to get my first ever server build up and running (pics and a post to come, cleaning some things up tomorrow) and now I’m officially hooked! The NAS Killer 4.0 and OTiS guides were so important for me. I used these and a few discord questions and lots of reading on discord of other questions to design, part pick and build my first server that will be used for files, plex, VM’s, a lab and minecraft server. I also used the bitdeals array starter kit package to load up on 4TB HDDS!!! I’m so proud of my build, and this learning experience. while I’ve built PC’s in the past I’ve never done anything like this and it was sooo far out of my comfort zone, but I did it! So thank you!!! I also want to thank Discord user Stuffwhy [US] he has answered a couple questions for me and has been super helpful.

I want package 1 as I really want to set up a pfsense router now and pi hole add blocker, but I think my system will be running too much to do all that.

Thanks for running this and happy holidays.

1 Like

I guess I’m bad at forums as it auto linked OTiS :rofl:

Entry

Link:
ThreadRunner

The most impactful build for me has to be the Threadrunner build that I found about 3 years ago. I was looking for alternatives to expensive consumer CPUs when I stumbled on to Threadrunner build on reddit. That post pushed me to the enterprise hardware and opened up possibilities that I was unaware of and for cheap. In the 3 years since I have learned about UNRAID, SSI-EEB Boards, LSI cards and a lot more server hardware in the process. I have helped friends with piecing together builds, and started moving my career path more towards a system admin position. I still can’t believe how much that single post changed my life. I can’t thank you enough for all that you’d done for the community and your efforts you put in to make it better.

Prize Preference: Package 1

1 Like