[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Yep! I ended up with an i7-9700. Absolutely screams now

Out of curiosity do you know what the power consumption is? How much ram did you end up putting in?

No idea what the power consumption is. Went with the 9700 since the TDP is 65W. Put 16GB ram in and am running everything off a 500GB NVME.M2 SSD.

1 Like

Wow this is perfect, exactly what I was looking for a firewall/router box that will support my full gigabit pipe with full IDS/IPS on (with a processor / memory upgrade). I currently have a T730 that crawls down to ~150 Mbps with Sensei enabled in OPNsense. LGA1151 right? What kinds of upgrades are you folks doing?

EDIT: This is probably asking for a lot but does the mobo support IOMMU and HW passthrough? With the horsepower of a 9th gen i5/i7, it would be nice to run Proxmox and use this for a bunch of things. Iā€™m seeing conflicting reports (sounds like no for the the stock Celeron processor but yes if upgraded to a compatible CPU?).

I posted this in the discord a while back but figured Iā€™d share on hereā€¦ Iā€™ve since added additional hard drives and upgraded to i5-9400(Microcenter open box)

1 Like

@yacht7, Iā€™m looking at doing something similar. Because of the possible heat risk, Iā€™ve been looking at picking up one of the T chips just to avoid having to add a cooling system.

I have heard more than one person has used the i7-9700 without issue.
Iā€™d upgrade the thermal paste to Gelid GC Extreme, but thatā€™s just me.

1 Like

This is really a great build. And looks to do exactly what Iā€™d need it to do.

Can you recommend a passthrough adaptor for the DS380B? About to order a 9207-8i and the case in a few days.

1 Like

@Whousomecat

Take a look at cobaltā€™s post from Aug 31 and work you way down from thereā€¦he does a really good job of detailing what heā€™s done with pics in his build which, in turn, was an inspiration for me to do one as well although mine still has a way to go before I can call it ā€˜completeā€™. Loved that itā€™s a relatively low power HP290<ā€”>DAS combo (mineā€™s upgraded to an i3-8100 and 16GB Ram with a 1TB nvme and an LSI 9207-8e, not 8i as you mentioned, (used low profile with low profile bracket) sas hba in IT mode which is connected externally to the sff-8088 ports on the DASā€™ sff-8088 to sff-8087 pass through adapter in the DAS. The DASā€™ internal sff-8087 ports (2) will each support 4 sata3 shucked drives for a total of 8. You will of course need breakout cables to plug into the sff-8087 and onto the drives on the other end, i used two of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YHS8BS since I shuck drives.

Hope this helps a little! All thanks should go to cobalt, just passing on what Iā€™ve learned from him.

EDIT: Did I misunderstand? Youā€™re using the DS380b (as a DAS) in combo with the HP290, right? Just reread your question and now iā€™m not sure.

1 Like

@LivePono

I was specifically looking for a recommendation on a sff-8088 to sff-8087 pass through adaptor. The Aug 31st post gave every other detail I needed to pull off the build. Iā€™m only asking because they range from $30 on ebay to $70+ on some specific sites.

The information from your post was helpful as well. So thank you. And you are correct, I will be attaching this to my HP290 just you stated.

The cheapest they go for is $30-ish, unfortunatelyā€¦

Not sure if you could make this one work, itā€™s $22.50 USD:

1 Like

I have a i5-8400 and it regularly throttles, usually during unpacking. Iā€™ve replaced thermal paste with Grizzly Kryonaut and the fan with a Noctua NF-R8 redux and the issue persists. But honestly i havenā€™t founded it affecting performance in anyway so I think I just need to stop caring.

Wow thatā€™s very different from my experience. Mine idles at ~50C and regularly throttles during NZB unpacking.

Wow thatā€™s tempting to upgrade to. I think I will finally jump on this. Nice possibilities with this box.

Has anyone used something like this for a htpc with madvr?
(Iā€™m considering gt 1030 for some 480->1080p madvr conversions)

Why does it need a GT 1030 to accomplish that?

So is this 64gb max RAM or 32gb?

I was using a t3600 with and e5-2670 and a gt 1060 for ai upscaling.
480->1080 upscaling doesnā€™t have a lot of benchmarks I can find (comared to 720p-> 4k upscaling). Iā€™m trying to figure out of the cpu on this would be enough, or a gpu would be needed.

Hey all, Iā€™ve been lurking here and building out my server rack for a few weeks. I built my nas based heavily on the NAS 4.0 guide (I love it!) and then I picked up an hp290 when I started sharing my plex server with family.

Everything seemed to be working great until just a few days ago. My HP290 plex box shuts down at random and will not power on until I unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in. Iā€™m suspecting the PSU is bad has anyone experienced this and anyone know where I can find an affordable replacement?

FWIW itā€™s running ubuntu server 20.04 and plex and thatā€™s it.