[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

anyone used one of these as a freenas box yet? i’m VERY tempted to jump ship from a 170watt r710 to one of these, and i have a LP HBA i can use to attach to DAS.
my only concern is the ecc…doesn’t look like the motherboard supports ecc. would be nice for the power savings though.

Hey guys,

Anyone else tried runnin a Intel EXPI9404PTLBLK PRO/1000 PT 4-Port not being detected by Pfsense? All i get is the onboard LAN. When the system boots all four ports on the car light up green but then that’s it. I tried it in another pc and its working fine.

Plex Media Player bitstreams every format.

2 Likes

You can download the bios and run it from a USB stick? I forgot to flash mine before I put Ubuntu on it.

Try this:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-slim-290-p0000-desktop-pc-series/19390524/model/23205936

1 Like

My guess is you would have to use Windows unless there is a freedos option

Omg, captive case thumb screw. What luxury is this.

1 Like

Got my HP290 yesterday. Unfortunately the 500gb WD Blue NVMe I bought from Amazon warehouse deals at a killer price was dead so I couldn’t play with it. That’ll teach me to buy from Amazon warehouse deals. I have a 14.4gb Intel optane as recommended in the main post but I want to use an NVMe for my Plex server so it will load extra fast. Its not that much of an extra cost anyway. My current app data folder is about 12gb.

I’m in Canada so I needed to use a reshipper to get this. I used crossborderpickups.

In total I paid ~209 CAD all in for 1 unit. I don’t regret it as my unit came pretty new with keyboard, mouse and power cable which is an amazing bonus. Don’t need it but its nice to have.

Breakdown of costs was:

120 usd (171 CAD for the HP290).
38 CAD Crossborderpickup. (20.50 duty and rest going to shipping+CBP fee).

In total I don’t feel like I was price gouged by the reshipper. Its still a great value with reshipper + duty fees. Sucks that I had to pay American tax on it though.

Trying to install pfsense from usb on my 290 and on boot I get: Secure boot violation invalid signature detected check secure boot policy in setup. Wanted to check for any recommendations before I try to change anything.

1 Like

Disable secure boot in the BIOS

Thanks, that worked. I was about to try that but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks for the reference to this on HA podcast. Hoping to learn more on Self-Hosted podcast about how one can get started (I.e. for dummies) with setup and usage of HA + VM on a dedicated, low power 2-core box such as this (so one can easily restore from from an oops expt in HA…provided docker-based soln in HASS.io doesn’t always work)

Just bought 2 boxes, with one for a basic data science local-only home-generated data setup largely centered around HA + a few other dockerized services such as alt database or two, visualization tools…).

As you’ve been using it for a number of months now, How much ram did/would you add to this box for ESXi or other virtualization software? I see here and on crucial’s site one can technically add up to 32gb…

1 Like

I was researching how to setup OTA/DVR for Plex. I guess the main way (or only way) is to use one of the approved set top boxes.

I was just wondering if there was a tuner card that could fit into this HP 290 and use it that way…if anyone has done that research. I wouldn’t mind live tv but I’m more concerned with recording shows/games and having them on plex.

In any case I don’t guess I could build a DVR for cheaper than I could buy a HDhomerun Duo. They have some models with transcoding, but I don’t figure I would need that since it will be the plex doing the work.

Anyway for the 290 to power a GeForce GTX 1050? Any affordable options to increasing the power supply wattage?
Looking to build a retro emulation PC.

No and no. The power supply is proprietary and has no PCI-E power connectors.

Thanks for reponding but I don’t believe the 1050 or 1050TI have a 6pin. The EVGA specs do however say “300 Watt or greater power supply.****”

https://www.evga.com/articles/01063/evga-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-and-1050/

Yeah the 1050 and 1050ti use only the 75W from the PCIE slot. I had one in my supermicro mobo without 6 pin and it worked fine but all i did was transcode so they were probably using 30-40W.

In all likelihood, the HP 290 motherboard does not provide 75W to the slot, but 25W - fairly standard for low power/small form factor devices.

Hi, I stumbled upon this thread from a subreddt for Synology NAS devices. Someone was asking about running a Plex server on his older Synology device, and they pointed him to this thread, saying “why don’t you build a $100 computer instead”??

My situation: I have an older 8-bay Synology NAS (DS1813+). It works well, and hold ALL of my ~30TB of data, but it’s role as a Plex server is pretty quite limited by its CPU.

So my question is this: Can I do this:

1. Buy this PC
  2. Hook it up to my gigabit home network via the onboard gigabit ethernet port
  3. Boot it up as a Win10 machine
  4. Install Plex Media Server
  5. Map some drives from my Synology NAS (which would share the files over gigabit ethernet)
  6. Voila…all done. A Plex server that can transcode, and that I can share outside my home network

I hope it’s that simple? I really don’t want to get into Linux….unless there’s some real, drastic, tangible advantages to doing so vs. Win10

Whaddya think?
FJ

What’s a normal Geekbench score on one of these?