[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Attaboy

That should work fine.

Just finished my NAS Killer 4.0 Build with 5 HP 290s. Iā€™m using these shelves @ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X3JHJQ/ref=asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In total 5 290s take up about 12U of rackspace

4 Likes

What is the breakdown of your stack? I see the two Rosewills which I assume is your storage. Are they setup as independent NAS with their own motherboards or DAS and being controlled by one or more of the 290ā€™s?

Iā€™ve actually been wanting to ask JDM the same question, how he split up his services among his many, many 290s.

Iā€™ve been looking at getting that Mikrotik sfp+ switch. How do you like it? Any issues with L2 management?

@roblun68
4U Server Case #1
Windows Server 2016
AMD FX8350
16GB RAM
1x 240gb SSD
2x Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HDD
For running a few VMs to host tautulli, radarr, sonarr, lidarr, tdarr, etc

4U Server Case #2
NAS Killer 4.0
unRAID OS
Intel Xeon E3-1270V2
Supermicro X9SCM-F Server Motherboard
Arctic Freezer 12 CPU Cooler
32GB Unbuffered ECC RAM
1x 512GB Cache SSD
10x Seagate ST6000NM0034 6TB 7200RPM SAS HDD
2x Dell H310 w/FH Bracket PERC Adptr (3P0R3) Flashed to IT Mode
EVGA 850 Bq, 80+ Bronze 850W Power Supply
Replaced all Rosewill Fans with: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST & Arctic F8 PWM PST

MikroTik 9-Port Desktop Switch 8 SFP+ & 1 Gigabit Ethernet
All Servers using HP NC522SFP Dual Port 10GbE cards
Using Cable Matters 10GBASE-CU Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax SFP Cable

5 HP 290ā€™s on 2U Shelves
16GB RAM
1x 240GB SSD

CyberPower OR1500LCDRT2U Smart App LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 8 Outlets, AVR, 2U Rack/Tower

All in a StarTech.com 25U Open Frame Server Rack

Also: A large amount of kapton tape

@ajs
Love the Mikrotik switch. Lots of features and highly configurable. So far no issues with L2 management

1 Like

So 4U #1 and all the 290s are using the NK4 4U for storage?

What all are you doing with the 290s?

So you have one of the 10Gbe cards in both 4U and the 5 290s?

@Jason_Standiford
Yes they are all using NK4 for storage.

2 290s are PLEX servers, 1 is going to be a Pfsense box, the other 2 I havent decided uses yet. Will probably use them for VMs/other homelab projects.

Yes I have the 10Gbe cards in both 4U servers and the HP 290s. They fit pretty well in the 290s. Couple things to note: Youā€™ll need to get low profile mounts for the NIC cards. You will also need Kapton tape and need to tape off B5/B6 PCI connectors on the cards in order for the 290s to boot properly. I also noticed for some reason the HP NC522SFP have coil wine when used in the HP 290s. I did not observe coil wine in when used in both 4U cases.

Thanks for the update Bear, that makes sense. I was looking at using a 290 as storage with an external Mini-Das attached though a HBA and another 290 for Quicksync Plex. It just dawned on me that using a HBA card will make adding a 10GbE card impossible with one x16 and one x1 slot. So that is out. Back to QS Plex and Anniversary for storage.

Why 2 Plex servers?

Also, thanks for the info about the NICs

1 for family and the other for friends/colleagues. I have a big asian family

I havenā€™t had any problems with ConnectX-3 CX312A sfp+ cards in the 290s, if you (or anyone else) are looking for alternatives.

Stupid noob question. I am going to buy this pc and use it as a plex server (want to have something that can possibly transcode 4K) so after reading all these comments i am not sure why i would need an Intel X520T2. Can you explain?

NM i am stupid. Just noticed there is no actual network port for wired connectivity

How is the 4k transcoding? I plan on hosting 4k content on a drive and ideally locally i will just use plex player to play the original file but if something does happen (aka the file is not in the correct format) i would like it to be able to handle transcoding for at least 1 stream

Thatā€™s incorrect. There is a gigabit lan port. that Intel X520T2 is for someone who wants 10Gb lan, which doesnā€™t sound like you do.

It will transcode a single 4K stream fine. My g3930 handles 4K perfectly fine and they have the same integrated graphics (IntelĀ® HD Graphics 610), but you should never transcode 4K due to the 10 bit color mapping.

Thanks. Yeah i would not want to transcode as i would hope to always stream the original but just wanted to know in case transcoding did happen for some reason

Thanks. Then yes you are right. I would not need anything else

Do not transcode 4K.

Itā€™s not the same GPU, the Celeron G4900 has the UHD 610 and is one generation newer. Anything HDR cannot be tone mapped when transcoded with plex.

You have control over whether it happens or not. Put your 4K content on a different library or different server entirely. (you can use your NAS for a 4K content only Plex server, and the HP 290 for a dedicated QS box that handles your regular media)

Was just going by ark.

G3930:
Processor Graphics ā€”IntelĀ® HD Graphics 610

G4900:
Processor Graphics ā€”IntelĀ® UHD Graphics 610

And it still stands. If my G3930 can do it, the G4900 can do it.