[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

The recommendation is for a dedicated HW transcoding box, as stated in the post. The CPU isn’t fast, so it’s really only useful in processes where QS can be leveraged. Linux is the recommended OS.

File management operations should take place on the NAS.

I really do not recommend making the HP 290 as your primary server, as it has no room for HDD expansion. Build an extremely cheap NAS Killer 4.0 and use that for all of your storage and file management needs. It’s plenty overkill.

I mean, ordinarily yes, but it depends on what you need out of a server.

OK…?

To clarify, with this setup: [Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread - #687 by Kong

you idle @4W? (HP ProDesk 400 G4 Micro Tower - 7th Gen Pentium G4560 2C/4T, 8GB DDR4 - $119.00 (seller accepts $90 offers) - #30)

What’s under “normal/average” use and what’s the peak draw from the socket? The savings in power bill could well be worth the extra cost for the 8500T so I just wanted to check before spending a lot more money :smiley:

I am really interested in seeing how far we can take some cheap, low power devices.

Here’s where I explore this idea and would enjoy your input: Any technical reasons why we cant have a NAS Killer using the intel HP 290 or ProDesk 400 G4?

A post was split to a new topic: Newbie - help with NAS upgrade

Yes, this is with the 290 and these specs. I have since switched from 2 sticks into 1 stick RAM, but haven’t checked to see if it dropped further. If I transcode or Plex is scanning files, it jumps into the teens.

• Ubuntu 20 dual boot with Windows 10 (separate partitions)
  • Intel® Core™ i5-8500T Processor with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste
  • Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D3, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T9X1
  • Crucial 16GB Kit (16GBx1) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SR x8 DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT2K8G4DFS824A
  • HDMI Dummy Plug Headless Ghost Display Emulator (Fit Headless-1920x1080 New Generation@60Hz)-3Pack
  • M.2 Screw Kit,NVMe Screw m.2 SSD Mounting Kit

Why are you dual booting?

Plex is only running at night. During the day it’s a system for the kids to do homework and class. :slight_smile:

Long time first time. Just started my HP 290 build for plex to replace my wife’s 10 year old mac mini that finally died and was a PITA for years. I haven’t opened up a PC in… 19 years since middle school. :slight_smile:

So far I successfully put in this 500gb NVME SSD, I then updated the BIOS through windows, downloaded ubuntu desktop to a flash drive, went through that whole process of installing ubuntu to the SSD. I then erased the 500GB HDD (with plans to replace it).
I replaced the RAM with this 4GB x2 & foolishly took a day to realize that i didn’t push it in hard enough to seat them.
Ubuntu is working well as a first timer, I did the minimal install and then downloaded PMS, which i think is on the SSD and nothing is on the stock drive.

I have had serious HD format & permission issues from the external HDs that hold all my media & just went through the process of changing my 3 TB external from HFS+ to NFTS as my exFAT external is also permission locked but at least has read capabilities.

Needless to say that headache will hopefully no longer be an issue once the 10TB WD shuccable drive arrives and I replace the stock HD with that.

My question is, do i format the drive as an external before i shuck it or just shuck, replace the HD internally, +/- formatting in ubuntu, and then transfer over my collection all within ubuntu? Sorry for the noob questions. I read through this thread multiple times and feel like i learned a lot of advanced things but still have some basic deficiencies.

What do you mean blue Iris?

• Crucial 16GB Kit (16GBx1) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SR x8 DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT2K8G4DFS824A

@Kong so you’re using 16GB of ram on the same board?

• Intel® Core™ i5-8500T Processor with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste

You’ve upgraded the CPU? Why? because you’re using as a multi purpose right?

Yes, contrary to the documentation, it can support up to 32GB with 2 sticks of 16GB.

Yes, upgraded the CPU so it could do more than just Plex when I needed it to. No regrets and I may do it with another HP290 I own. 4 watts idle with Ubuntu isn’t too shabby.

1 Like

Thanks mate. If I just wanted to run Ubuntu, with Plex… do you think the 16gb nvme option is good enough as a dedicated plex beast with a sperate NAS…

Absolutely not, I would recommend 256GB as a minimum and 512GB as an ideal size.

1 Like

You’ll want something bigger like JDM said above. Especially if you turn on video preview and chapter thumbnails.

I assume he’s running Blue Iris on Windows or much less likely a recent development is to run Blue Iris as a docker container.

Blue Iris being a video surveillance (non-free) software that is mainly for Windows.

For those interested in an HP290 icon for Unraid or other use, I made a few and wanted to share.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks!!

Also interested in the passthrough adaptor for the DS380B.

What motherboard/cpu/ram are you using on the DS380B?