[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Can you please elaborate on the jbod enclosure you built?

I used an Silverstone ds380b. Just added a 450w sfx psu and sff-8088 to sff-8087 pass through adapter. Plus changed the case fans to noctua fans. I have an 9207-8e sas hba in the 290 that’s connected externally to the sff-8088 ports in the Silverstone. Using 8x8TB drives in raidz2.

1 Like

@cobalt which mini-itx motherboard and psu did you use in the Silverstone? Sounds great.

No motherboard. No need for one. The psu was an evga sfx 450w supernova GM.

1 Like

what bios are you using for the 9400? thinking about upgrading to the 8400/9400 and turning mine into a proxmox/ubuntu server as well.

Since @LivePono reached out and was curious about my build here is a few photos of what I did with the HP 290 and Silverstone DS380B

I’m running 8x8TB shucked WD drives in the Silverstone in ZFS RAIDZ2 with Ubuntu 20.04 installed to an 1TB M.2 drive in the HP 290. There’s also 2x Samsung 860 EVO’s in a ZFS Mirror acting as the storage backend for LXD. The HP 290 was upgraded to an Intel I5-9400 and has a full 32GB of DDR4 2666 RAM.

This is running the following perfectly fine in various LXD containers:

• Plex
  • Ombi
  • Radarr
  • Sonarr
  • Jackett
  • Unpackerr (better than rutorrents auto unpack)
  • rtorrent/rutorrent
  • Tautulli
  • grafana
  • prometheus
  • varken

Used a blank I/O shield from Supermicro to cover the empty I/O due to lack of motherboard in the Silverstone.

SAS HBA with Noctua 40x20MM fan mod. Connected to the CPU fan header with a Y cable since Noctua is awesome and includes one with every fan.

Spare SAS HBA with the fan mod so it’s easier to see without having to remove the one currently in use from the 290

2 Likes

Nice!

BIOS Revision/Date: 843F vF.31 05/27/2019

Did the HP Support Tool updates and waited Rebooted and waited some more etc through tons of Windows 10 updates first as a precaution, and that bios got installed with everything else, if I remember correctly.

Upgraded the hardware, including different hard drive , ran the same 2 update tools in windows again in case of something else I don’t know about that’d get updated on the hardware level support firmware, then finally installed Proxmox and everything works really well.

Very low power consumption is nice

Yeah several people have. Just search within topic for cpu upgrade etc.
I decided to do that after seeing posts with successes here from some of those users…you can put in up to 32gb ram with i5 9400 I believe…

Yep! I ended up with an i7-9700. Absolutely screams now

Out of curiosity do you know what the power consumption is? How much ram did you end up putting in?

No idea what the power consumption is. Went with the 9700 since the TDP is 65W. Put 16GB ram in and am running everything off a 500GB NVME.M2 SSD.

1 Like

Wow this is perfect, exactly what I was looking for a firewall/router box that will support my full gigabit pipe with full IDS/IPS on (with a processor / memory upgrade). I currently have a T730 that crawls down to ~150 Mbps with Sensei enabled in OPNsense. LGA1151 right? What kinds of upgrades are you folks doing?

EDIT: This is probably asking for a lot but does the mobo support IOMMU and HW passthrough? With the horsepower of a 9th gen i5/i7, it would be nice to run Proxmox and use this for a bunch of things. I’m seeing conflicting reports (sounds like no for the the stock Celeron processor but yes if upgraded to a compatible CPU?).

I posted this in the discord a while back but figured I’d share on here… I’ve since added additional hard drives and upgraded to i5-9400(Microcenter open box)

1 Like

@yacht7, I’m looking at doing something similar. Because of the possible heat risk, I’ve been looking at picking up one of the T chips just to avoid having to add a cooling system.

I have heard more than one person has used the i7-9700 without issue.
I’d upgrade the thermal paste to Gelid GC Extreme, but that’s just me.

1 Like

This is really a great build. And looks to do exactly what I’d need it to do.

Can you recommend a passthrough adaptor for the DS380B? About to order a 9207-8i and the case in a few days.

1 Like

@Whousomecat

Take a look at cobalt’s post from Aug 31 and work you way down from there…he does a really good job of detailing what he’s done with pics in his build which, in turn, was an inspiration for me to do one as well although mine still has a way to go before I can call it ‘complete’. Loved that it’s a relatively low power HP290<—>DAS combo (mine’s upgraded to an i3-8100 and 16GB Ram with a 1TB nvme and an LSI 9207-8e, not 8i as you mentioned, (used low profile with low profile bracket) sas hba in IT mode which is connected externally to the sff-8088 ports on the DAS’ sff-8088 to sff-8087 pass through adapter in the DAS. The DAS’ internal sff-8087 ports (2) will each support 4 sata3 shucked drives for a total of 8. You will of course need breakout cables to plug into the sff-8087 and onto the drives on the other end, i used two of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YHS8BS since I shuck drives.

Hope this helps a little! All thanks should go to cobalt, just passing on what I’ve learned from him.

EDIT: Did I misunderstand? You’re using the DS380b (as a DAS) in combo with the HP290, right? Just reread your question and now i’m not sure.

1 Like

@LivePono

I was specifically looking for a recommendation on a sff-8088 to sff-8087 pass through adaptor. The Aug 31st post gave every other detail I needed to pull off the build. I’m only asking because they range from $30 on ebay to $70+ on some specific sites.

The information from your post was helpful as well. So thank you. And you are correct, I will be attaching this to my HP290 just you stated.

The cheapest they go for is $30-ish, unfortunately…