[Official] Everything you need to know about vintage integrated amplifiers and receivers - and why you need one, especially at your desk!

Overview

Need a god-tier headphone and/or speaker amplifier for your desk? Do you want a set of speakers in the living room hooked up to a streaming box, CD player, FM tuner, and turntable? Read on!

First, there’s some basic terms that we need to cover:

1. [Power Amplifier] - takes an input signal and amplifies it to something useable for headphones or speakers.
    Usually RCA input to speaker terminals and/or 1/4" headphone jack.
    Power Amplifiers can be standalone units, I often refer to them as “dumb amplifiers”.
  2. [Preamp] - takes a line level signal (constant volume) and varies it, adding volume control. Preamps are also known as control amplifiers. Usually this takes a line-level RCA input signal and modulates it into a preout RCA output signal.
    If you see the term “preout” on a piece of equipment, it has preamp functionality. Those outputs allow for an external power amplifier.
    Preamps can be standalone units. In this case, you also need a power amplifier to produce usable sound.
  3. [Integrated Amplifier] - a preamp and power amplifier combined into one unit. We’ll be talking a lot about integrated amps in this guide.
    Integrated amps (usually) have multiple inputs, volume control, tone controls (bass/mid/treble), speaker terminals, headphone output, and more.
  4. [Receiver] - It’s an integrated amplifier with a tuner, for AM/FM/Shortwave.
    Generally speaking, receivers look cooler, but are more complex. Sometimes you can get a better deal on a receiver, but usually they are larger physically than their simpler integrated counterparts.

Next are some more specific terms that have to do with the functionality of the integrated amplifiers and receivers:

1. [Attenuator] - This is the volume control. Sometimes numbered 0-10, sometimes numbered in negative dB. Not a hard rule, but generally speaking models that are numbered in negative dB are higher-end.
  2. [Loudness] - Usually an on-off switch, more rarely a variable knob (Yamaha is known for this). Loudness boosts the highs and lows, which compensates for how we hear at lower volumes. If you have a hard time hearing certain things at low volumes, try using the loudness control. It doesn’t sound good at medium to high volumes, so turn it off when listening louder.
  3. [Tone controls] - Usually just the Treble (highs) and Bass (lows), but sometimes includes Mids. Every amp’s tone controls work at specific frequencies, which differ between models. The tone controls also work on the headphone output, which is super neat.
  4. [Defeat/Direct] - This bypasses the relevant tone control or all tone controls for a more pure sound.
  5. [Subsonic] - This cuts off all sound below an extremely low frequency, such as 15 Hz. This is useful mainly for Phono/Turntable use, as to not vibrate the turntable.
  6. [High Filter] - This cuts off all sound above an extremely high frequency, such as 15 kHz. For some people this can reduce listening fatigue. Not supremely useful in my opinion.
  7. [Aux/Tuner/CD/DAD input] - These are normal RCA inputs. Despite their labeling, they should all function the same, unless otherwise stated.
  8. [Phono input] - This is exclusively designed for Turntable use. Most of the time it supports only MM (moving magnet) cartridges, but some higher end units also support MC (moving coil) cartridges. The Phono input, while RCA, does not work with standard AUX-type sources. Do not attempt to use them on the Phono input.

Why vintage?

• Back in my day…
    Not to overuse a trope, but they simply don’t make them like they used to. For the most part, companies listed here are simply a shadow of their former selves. Late 1970’s and early to mid 1980’s audio equipment was the true golden-age. Manufacturers figured out how to make fantastic sound and the “wattage war” hadn’t yet begun. No one cared about output wattage, instead they cared about the quality of sound. Almost all of the companies you will see in this guide are Japanese.

• Value!
    A lot of these units were very expensive for the time. Even the low-end models were sometimes $200 or more in the late 70’s. Using usinflationcalculator.com, that equates to very nearly $800 in 2020. Think of all of the really, really nice single items you can buy for $800.

• Serviceability/Reliability
    Nothing is digital (for the most part). These amps don’t have IC’s and chips that can fail. They can fail in other ways, sure - blown/leaking capacitors, power packs, and the like. If you’re handy with reading schematic diagrams and a soldering iron, they are extremely user-serviceable. I personally avoid non-working units, and I’ve yet to have one just die on me.

• A E S T H E T I C
    Most of them are just plain cool. They are great to look at, and usually even better to interact with. Everything is just… physical. Knobs and switches are chunky, with audible and tactile feedback. I find myself wanting to just mess with the controls, even if there’s no reason to. It’s very satisfying. Vintage cars are cool. So is vintage audio.

An overview of an Integrated Amplifier

Pictured above is a Pioneer SA-410 integrated amplifier from 1980. It’s wide, but short, and not very deep. It has multiple inputs for an external Tuner or CD player, Auxiliary, and Phono (for turntables). It also has tone controls for bass and treble, as well as A/B speaker outputs and a headphone jack. It provides a modest 20 watts per channel, but is plenty loud for most people. It will absolutely destroy a similarly priced modern headphone amp or speaker amp. Typically you can find one of these for under $200.

It’s amazing that one of the best sounding integrated amps looks like a high school intro to EE project.

Here’s the SA-410 stacked on top of the matching TX-410 AM/FM tuner. As you can see, there’s multiple RCA inputs and outputs, as well as L/R speaker terminals for both A and B sets. It also has switched power passthrough, meaning it can turn the tuner on/off with just the amp’s power button.

1 Like

Brands

• Kenwood
    Definitely not what they used to be. Late 70’s Kenwood stuff is simple, beautiful, and highly functional.
    Nowadays, vintage Kenwood is extremely affordable, solid performing, and not as sought after as some of the other brands.
    Kenwood’s house sound is neutral/reference leaning, with a little “smooth jazz” thrown in.

• Yamaha
    Yamaha had a stranglehold on the early to mid 80’s market. They are known for their insane specs, clean and fast amplifiers. Their vintage aesthetic is still used today in their modern products.
    Yamaha’s house sound is similar to Kenwood’s, but even more analytical and reference.

• Pioneer
    Just like Kenwood, not at all what they used to be. Pioneer has some of the most sought after vintage equipment, and not just their amplifiers.
    Pioneer’s house sound is dynamic, punchy, and very “rock n’ roll”. For the most part, it’s not reference at all - but that’s why people love Pioneer. Generally, more expensive than a similar Kenwood unit, but Pioneers are rarely a bad purchase.

• Sony
    Sony was a huge player in the audio space. I mean, I guess they still are, but the amount of vintage quality products they made of the years is just insane. Their mid to high end units are insanely good, even now. Their lower end were a little hit or miss. Do your research and if in doubt, ask @Riggi - he’s the Sony guy.
    Sony has a very similar sound to Yamaha.

• Rotel
    Just awesome. Rotel has a very neutral house sound. They are known for their higher power output, so if you have hard to drive speakers or headphones this might be the route you should go. They are generally more expensive than other units here, but Rotel still sells parts for most of their vintage units.

• Sansui
    Extremely expensive nowadays. Most Sansui stuff you will find will be black, not silver. They are great, if you can find one in your budget.

• NAD
    Sometimes good, sometimes just OK. Known for their extremely simple design and general reliability. Make sure to do your research on the model you’re looking at!

• Mitsubishi
    A little boring-sounding if I had to criticize, but believe it or not they actually made decent stuff. Nowadays they are not very sought after, so if you are on a strict budget I’d look here. I wouldn’t be upset if I had some of their stuff.

2 Likes

How I use my integrated amps and receivers

My setups constantly change, but here are some examples.

Pioneer SA-410 with Infinity IL-10 bookshelf speakers at my main desk.
I’ve used Sennheiser 6XX, 58X, and Focal Elex headphones - all sound the best they ever have on this amp.
Source is a Motu M4 audio interface.

Technics ST-Z1 Tuner and SU-Z1 Integrated Amplifier for bedroom listening.

Moved the SA-410 to the kitchen hallway to test a new Sony Turntable.
The iPad Pro is used as a digital source.

Testing a Kenwood KR-4010 receiver in the same location.

Kenwood Turntable + Kenwood KA-5700 Integrated Amplifier as the primary listening station in the living room.
Speakers are modern, Klipsch RP-600M in Piano Black finish.

6 Likes

I’ve been drawn to vintage sound systems for years, mostly because I remember them from when they were current systems and I couldn’t afford them back then.
Unfortunately, the prices of some of the best ones have shot up, so I’ve had to pick and choose what I thought would be good matches on a budget.
In my workshop I had a Kenwood KAF 3030B amp and a Rotel RT820L tuner, driving a set of decent speakers that I’d built into the walls, from scratch, paying attention to base caviities and resonances, and such. Incredible sound to work to. Fairly modest in output, but the components match well, and the final result is great, but I’ve no doubt audiofools would be shrieking.
That setup has been replaced by an old Aiwa integrated AVR, which nominally pumps out more power, but is a bit more trebly, and I’m not too sure I like it - still, early days yet and I might get used to it. It’s a very handy all-in-one box and it was spare.
For my desktop PC, I’ve gone through a few, now sitting with a Yamaha AX-V465 to drive my speakers, which are a modest set of old Aiwa midi system boxes, and a self-powered sub under the desk.
The sound is quite good, but again, is a bit trebly and I occasionally flip the feed through an equaliser to reduce the top end a bit.
Prior to that, I had an ancient Blaupunkt STG 3091 integrated solid-state stereo amp, which was designed in the late 60s to appeal to the German middle class market that were used to high-end valve amps. It produced a fairly modest 30-ish watts per channel, but it was absolutely excellent. Of course, being so old, it came with one or two minor faults, but those were easily cleared up.

2 Likes

After receiving advice from several folks on the Discord, I got a Kenwood KR-3010 with my computer. I use the Apple DAC and the main speakers being driven are ELAC DB62. Also have a modded Fostex T50RP and Philips SHP9500s.

I absolutely love my setup. I love that everything sounds great and I only have to switch one or two dials. No more SMSL stack or trying to organize several power bricks.

The only downside so far is that I had some issue recently with a video call. Both myself and the computer was getting confused between the Apple DAC maybe and the front-panel mic input. Nothing major…

Cleaning with Deoxit was also super straightforward. Made a big difference with my “clicky” volume wheel and inconsistent source selector. All problems gone!

2 Likes

I received a beautiful KR-3010 in excellent condition back in October 2020, but forgot to post in this thread. I cannot give it enough praise, it is absolutely the best amp I own for both speakers and headphones. Here were my initial impressions and first listening tests.

Visually stunning. 10/10 style

So I decided to connect this integrated amp to my front stage in my home theater for my speaker testing.

First listen, Year of the Cat, by Al Stewart. The sax really hits different on vintage.

Second listen, building on era appropriate music with Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. The soundstage is huge in a good size room.

I couldn’t believe how good that was so I put on something more modern. I started with Call Ticketron by Run the Jewels. Bass texture and detail are phenomenal.

Hazey by Glass Animals rendered incredible imaging and depth.

While I had it connected to my home theater, I did a barrage headphone testing with my 600 Ohm DT770 Edition (2005). I only recorded a small sample of userspace by Brute Force, because the first half of the album put me in a sonically induced coma.

The headphone output is significantly powerful and clean, enough to drive nearly anything and sound amazing doing it. Simply Incredible. It was clear to me that this amp needed to live at my desk, and that’s where it’s been since.

The pictures don’t really do justice to the warm incandescent glow the front lighting gives off. This is a stunningly beautiful amp. If you find a KR-3010, 4010, or 5010 at a good price, buy it.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome! The next logical upgrade IMO would be a Motu M2 and a XLR microphone like the AT2020. Most of us that use vintage amps at the desk use this combo, it basically alleviates any and all problems with this sort of setup.

2 Likes

100% agree. This is the exact setup I have and recommend for anyone, vintage amp or not.

2 Likes

Finally solved the trebly-ness of the Yamaha amp - feeding it with an optical link from the soundcard has resulted in a much nicer overall rendition. For some reason the optical out from the soundcard wasn’t working the first time around, but re-installing drivers got it working.

Glad you fixed it!

1 Like

Bring your kids to work day?

I’m very late with my build, but I finally made some time to reorganize my desk a little bit. Don’t have room for two monitors, thus I will have to build a new desk after all.

Lower priority, I need more light bulbs for the KR-3010. I only have one in the middle of the display that works.

2 Likes

Main stack gear list:

Gear list:

• IKEA Besta shelves
  • Kenwood KR-5010
  • Kenwood KR-4010
  • PS Audio Sprout (signed by PS Audio engineers & Paul)
  • Adcom GTP-350
  • Adcom GFA-3500
  • Pioneer SA-410
  • Vector Research VR-2200A
  • Onkyo A-905X
  • Toshiba SB-M55
  • Toshiba SB-M22
1 Like

Baby steps! replacing bulbs was easy. new desktop was easy.

keyboard is out of stock for months. I might settle on desk clamp speaker stands for these Elacs. sound too good to replace or switch out.

edit: cable management will happen as the last step. I added a pine 1x3 underneath as a sacrificial surface for screws, sticky tape, etc.

2 Likes

Looking good!

I have found some listings for the Pioneer SA-410 that are parts only. Would it be worth it to buy a match pair? For example, there is an SA-410 with the TX-410 (tuner) for les than the $200 mark and free shipping. I am thinking it could be worth it but just want to make sure.