[Official] Aruba S2500 Managed Ethernet Switch (PoE+/10GSFP+)

Web GUI shows up and I can login fine. Did a quick poke around the other day(Thursday night when it arrived) and seems everything is there. As in the default after you reset it according to the nice pictures in the first post

ssh definitely needs older ciphers (and kex, and mac) enabled. It’ll tell you when you try, then just add the appropriate option to command line or ssh_config.

How do you shut down the switch? I would think it is bad to pull the plug…

You can shut it down from CLI, but they’re designed to handle having the power pulled.

Saw the thread. Ended up getting an ICX6450-48P, thanks! Pulled the trigger considering the amount of information available.

Thanks

i’m assuming you’ve connect via ssh by now but if you haven’t, if you nano( i know i know) you can comment out the ciphers line and then save and ssh into the switch. so sudo nano /etc/ssh/ssh_config and then go down to #ciphers and remove the #, save the file and then ssh into the switch.

on a different note: once connected to the switch via ssh and doing ‘show interface brief’ i didn’t see the stacking interfaces, at least not from the terminal in ubuntu 19.04. i still entered the delete interface stacking 1/2 and 1/3 and then ran show interfaces again and now i have ge 1/1-1/4(10g ports) and in the webui they are no longer stacking ports.

cable question: i have a generic 10g dac i got from amazon. it works when i do a nic to nic connection with my hp 10g cards but when i plug it into the switch, nothing. when i click the details tab on amazon it takes me to a cisco “branded” cable, apparently the one i got?, and it works with the nics but they didn’t have an aruba or hp branded card. are there any 10g dacs that would work with this switch or is it a specific “branded” cable i need? also thought about fiber but never used that and thought about rj45 sfp+ transcievers and just using cat6 cables. really no more than 2 feet and that’s still more than enough.

1 Like

I have 2 2500 24port switches now and have been happy with them. I do have a problem from time to time were my uplink dac cable will just stop being seen on one of my stitches. Only fix is to unplug and plug again. Im using all fs generic dac cables. Maybe I should try another cable or brand. Just seeimg if amyone else has this problem.

i got the 48 port non poe version and use one of the gig ports connected to my main switch so i’m not sure about uplink issues. i have a generic dac that i use as a direct link between promox and freenas that i tried to use from freenas to the switch and neither port on the card lights up and none of the ports on the switch light up either. i looked for a dac for the switch and i’ve seen hp aruba “branded” cables and aruba cables so i’m not sure which one would be correct. my 10g nics are hp branded qlogic cables that i was told needed hp cables but generic/cisco ones work. i was looking at fs and think i need to email them to find out which one would work. edit: just did a google search and from three different posts on reddit and some random site it seems that molex branded cables are needed. going to do a bit more searching.

Fs generic work good for me and are cheap. I think the uplink problem might be a switch issue though. I might have to change ports and see if it still happens.

interesting. in that case i would think port/switch issue as well.

FYI, I have following transceiver and it works inside Aruba S2500 :

(ArubaS2500-48P) #show interface transceivers

GE0/1/0
-------
Vendor Name                                : FINISAR CORP.
Vendor Serial Number                       : XXXXX
Vendor Part Number                         : FTLX8571D3BCL
Aruba Certified                            : YES
Cable Type                                 : 10GBASE-SR
Connector Type                             : LC
Wave Length                                : 850 nm

Specifications page - https://www.finisar.com/sites/default/files/downloads/ftlx8571d3bcl_10gbs_850nm_multimode_datacom_sfp-plus_transceiver_product_specification_revd.pdf

Folks have had fewer compat issues on this switch with optics than with DACs. I have successfully run it with Molex DACs. RJ45 transceivers should work, but at $49-55 each would be a pricey solution. Finisar optics should work. I believe we linked the official compat list for optics and DACs somewhere above

1 Like

the link is in the OP. i guess i was just too excited and missed it. :man_facepalming:

Hi. I have this switch.

For transceivers, use Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL (eBay link)

For fiber clables, use LC to LC Multimode OM3 (eBay link)

You’ll be fine.

1 Like

I actually wrote this months ago, but apparently forgot to post it. Luckily this forum software is great and saved my draft. Anyways… Excellent write up. I’ve currently got two S2500-24Ps stacked with dual 10gb fiber LC-LC Finisars to my unraid box. I had a Brocade ICX6610-48P-E but it randomly quit working properly. I love my arubas. Much quieter than that brocade. We’re a mostly a cisco shop at work, but unfortunately I don’t have a large budget. I picked these Arubas for $50 a piece locally.

Is these items to connect from the 10 gig card to the switch? If so, what do I need to also connect my internet modem to the 10 gig card?

the transceivers and cables linked are to connect a computer to the switch. as for connecting it to your modem, that’s a different answer. honestly, unless you have a 10gb connection there is no real reason to use 10gb. going off whats available in the states, if you have a dsl or cable modem you only have a 1gb ethernet port coming out of it. which is pretty much the max. past that you would have a special modem with the proper connections to handle higher speeds but that would also mean that you have a fiber connection to your house/facilities and then the option to use 10gb to connect to the switch. but it’s not recommended to connect a modem directly to a switch without a firewall/router between the two.

Thank you for your answer. Let me be more specific. What I really want to know is, how do I connect to this switch for a 10g trunk for pfsense? Do I keep my intel card for wan and add the 10g card for the lan? In essence, I will have many Vlans and want to be clear on the 10g trunk port…