NSFW - Time to retire that old MacPro

First, huge shoutouts to everyone who ha helped me out during the shopping, building, and troubleshooting phase of this endeavor. Ya’ll are great!

Ok, onto the good stuff.

Specs:
120GB Storage (with lots of room for growth)
128GB of RAM
12 cores @ 2.6Ghz
Technically there is a GPU in there

Part Description Price
Motherboard 7pesh2 $178.00
Cases 2x Rosewill L-4500 $200.00
RAM 8x 16GB Samsung 1066 EEC $156.00
120mm Fans 10x Arctic F12 PST $54.00
80mm Fans 5x Arctic F8 PST $23.00
External SAS Expander LSI 9201-16e $40.00
Internal SAS Cables 6x sas to 4x sata $42.00
Power Supplies 2x EVGA 850 G3 $160.00
CPU Coolers 2x Arctic Freezer 12 $44.00
HDD Power Cables 7x 4-way Splitters $55.00
Internal SAS Expander HP SAS Expander + 2x SAS Cables $26.00
Processors 2x E-2630 v2 $50.00
External SAS Cables 4x Mini SAS to 4x Sata Cables $64.00
Thermal Paste ? Already Owned
Drives 4x 3TB Already Owned
8x 8TB
4x 6TB
4x 5TB
2x 256GB SSD
Stand Ikea Lack Coffee Table $40.00
4x 80lbs casters $20.00
8’ 2x2 Lumber $2.00
Screws $6.00
Washers $3.00
Glue $3.00
Total - Table/Rack $74.00
Total - Servers + DAS $1092.00
Total cost of project $1166.00

What was being replaced

Puppy knew her little den wasn’t long for this world

Drilled out the fiberboard on the foot of each leg to reinforce the leg

The rack mounts were just too wide for the table, they had to come off

Each piece was measured, cut, and glued into place, then screws with washers to make sure the legs weren’t going anywhere

All assembled, technically there is a little sag in the selves. I’m not super worried about it, but I am certainly keeping an eye on it

Now onto the purpose of all this

Part check

Testing outside of the case. This proved to be invaluable because I misread the manual about the ram configuration, amounts other things that I had to spend additional time on.

DAS went together easily enough, not a lot to figure out there. Bring power and data to the cables. Apparently me leaving out the fan wall was unacceptable so that was fixed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The wife helped with putting some duct tape around the I/O port on the enclosure to make sure the SAS cables didn’t get cut up.

Finally put all the cards, ram, checked, double checked, removed the board and re-checked the risers. made sure everything received power and did what it was supposed to. Special thanks to @seanho and @felixthekitten and everyone else who helped make sense of all of this.

And the finished product (don’t worry, the plastic around the locks has since been removed)

2 Likes

Looks good, great example of a completed anniversary + DAS build! Did you eventually move the RAM to the blue slots for that quad-channel goodness?

Thank you @seanho that means a lot! I tried when I was building it initially but was having some trouble with it. Maybe when I get back in there I’ll give it another shot. I think as I was testing everything I was dealing with a bad DIMM (that’s why the screen shot of the bios is down 16GB). It should just be as easy as putting the DIMMs in the blue slots right?

1 Like

Lovely NAS (and more) + DAS build!

That Mac Pro model is still a great machine, but doesn’t compare at single thread apps with new stuff. I was getting frustrated with the I/O, SATA2, and boot screen baloney so I replaced it with a hackintoshed Precision.

Now find that puppy a new hiding place!

Thank you, it was a lot of fun putting everything together.
Yeah, the MacPro still works and does everything it was designed for, not its fault that I’ve outgrown it. It’s really just the amount of drives it supports and compatibility issues with os’s that aren’t macOS.

Puppy has since rediscovered the bed I put under my desk for her. I’m sure she’ll be fine in the long run.

1 Like

I need to get into this.

Just make sure you re-enforce the legs and use longer screws for the shelf

1 Like

Would the shorter lack coffee table work?

or did you use this

I can’t quite tell. Most worried about width being enough and clearance of the lower shelf of course.

This is a great breakdown. Thank you.

1 Like

Since it’s so low to the ground, you could reinforce the bottom shelf with some cross bars made out of like 2x4’s or something, paint to match even and tie them into your new leg posts. Be fairly simple to do, well, would have been even simply without everything on it but I’m sure you could easily do it.

I’m glad you like the build!
So long as the width is 55 cm you’ll be fine. That way the insides of the posts will match 19” of a server. That being said I used the smaller of the coffee tables. I had to drill my own holes because I wanted them to be snug to the enclosure.

I used the other shelf because of I had purchased two of the tables and the other one was going to not need the shelf. I’m hindsight I thing I would have made it a little taller and used 2x4 to act as a support for the legs and the lower shelf.

Good luck with the build.