So I have an old Windows gaming desktop that I was also using as a plex server (with 2x 2TB WD Green). I think the MoBo is dead as it won’t POST correctly. I confirmed its not the RAM or PSU. Since I don’t use this for gaming anymore lets convert it to an UnRaid NAS server. I just bought 2x12TB WD shuckable drives from BestBuy. I have an Haswell i7-4470K on LGA1150 & a ATX case.
Now I just need some motherboard recommendations. In the future I will probably change the case to a rack mount one once I get a small rack (1-2years).
- In Canada
- will be using this for streaming and Downloading content (1-2 users max)
- will probably run both Plex & Jellyfin
- will most likely be using UnRaid (or do parity manually in ubuntu/debian)
- will probably be running everything in docker containers &/or VMs
- would be nice if MoBo also supports TrueNAS but not super important.
- I already have 32GB of DDR3 non-ecc RAM (4 sticks total)
- IPMI would be nice
- I already run Proxmox on a different box and am very familiar with VMs, LXC, docker, & K8s
I know supermicro boards are usually used for building servers. I’ve never used anything from them before and am not too familiar with options and what to look for.