I was looking to build a NAS and came across the NAS Killer builds. However, I’m more than clueless on how to build these things and what goes into it. I’ve seen people on the forums say they’re noob, but I’m Michael Scott “explain it to me as if I was 5” noob.
My goal for the NAS is a Plex server that will store my pictures and personal videos that I take on my phone in a central location that I can access anywhere. I am also using the Plex pass DVR and HDHomerun to record NFL games. I may be giving family access to the server, but it would mainly be to access pictures/videos and not to watch the NFL games. I only plan to watch the NFL games at home on a TV. I was also thinking about using PlayOn to start recording other shows to store and view on the NAS.
JDM_WAAAT’s description of “why prebuilt” described me since I am on a tight budget and just want to get into “the game,” so I purchased a Dell Poweredge T110 II from ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273935941856?ul_noapp=true
From what I’ve read, I believe that the Dell should be good enough for what I intend to do with the NAS. Please let me know if this is not the case!
I’m pretty much at a loss on what to do going forward. I think what I need to do to complete this is the following:
- Buy an SSD. I was planning on buying something similar to the Pioneer 512GB SSD that is recommended in the NK 4.0 guide
1a. JDM_WAAAT mentions that he likes to use small 120GB SSDs for VMs. What does this mean, and is this something that I want to do? Would both the 512GB SSD and 120GB SSD fit in the Dell?
- Decide on the OS. From what I’ve read, unRaid sounds like the recommendation so I was planning on using this. I will buy a USB drive for this.
- Buy HDD. I’m really confused on this as there’s SAS and SATA. From a budget perspective, the SAS is way more affordable so I’d like to go that route (on ebay I can find used 3TB Seagate SAS drives for $25 each). Since I plan to use unRaid, I felt like it would make sense to buy two or three 3TB drives for around $25 each. I have a lot of questions here:
3a. If I go the SAS drive route, it appears that I need a SAS controller. Would any of the SAS controllers listed in the NK 4.0 build work? What price point should I be looking at?
3b. Should I instead be looking at Sata Drives or Shuckable Drives? They just seem to be a lot more expensive but perhaps this would be easier on me since it sounds like I would only need to buy cables.
- I’m assuming the Dell should already come with a CPU cooler. Is this something I should replace?
- Buy a power cord since the Dell I bought doesn’t come with one.
- Do I need to buy additional fans for the unit?
Is there anything I’m missing that I would also need to buy to get this running?
I would really appreciate any help, feedback, and/or suggestions, and also appreciate your patience as I am new to all of this. Also, if everything I’m asking is just super basic I’d appreciate it if you could point me to some information that could help me understand these things better.