I’m not so much of hardware guy. I was wondering if someone could suggest or share their build with me (pcpartpicker would be nice, not necessary) I’m looking to spend somewhere between $800 - $2000 (to include hard drives). My plan is to use unRAID as the core operating system. I’m on the road quite a bit, so I use OpenVPN (via Pfsense) to connect to my home network.
Some of my desired software requirements:
- 3-4 Virtual Machines (like LInux, Windows 10)
- 12 or so Docker Containers
- 6-8 camera CCTV managed by zoneminder (VM or docker)
- Emby Server
- OS X Time Machine Backup
- PBX system
- Maybe some re-encoding capability via Handbrake
Some of my desired hardware Requirements:
- 10 - 12 TB red hard drives
- Mid to Full Tower Case
- DVD/CDROM drive
- 2-4 Gigabyte NIC card
- intel processor with quicksync to help with Emby
I’m currently running the following hardware:
- Synology DS 716+ with two 3TB drives (raid 1 configuration).
- Old Sony Vaio laptop for testing unRAID and running a few docker containers
- Pfsense currently running on a Netgate RCC-VE 2440
Lastly, I like having VM snapshots. So does it make sense to install a VM operating system (“Proxmox” onto my negate hardware) then reinstall Pfsense?
I really appreciate suggestions.