New Server Build Advice

Hi all!

I have had a HP N40L Microserver for years, and I used to use it often but I became preoccupied with other things and so I haven’t used it for ages. I’ve recently been dealt a bit of extra free time, and so I have been playing with it in order to learn how to use Linux headless (Ubuntu Server LTS 18.04).

My current setup:
HP N40L Microserver
AMD Turion II Neo N40L (1.5GHz)
2x4GB RAM
2x2TB HDD
1x 240GB SSD (OS)

I’ve been enjoying myself learning Linux and the Docker system, so I would like to turn it up a notch…

For my build I would like to be able to run the following:

• Organizr
  • Portainer
  • Plex Media Server
  • NextCloud
  • phpMyAdmin
  • Mariadb
  • Transmission
  • Sabnzbd
  • Sonarr
  • Radarr
  • NZBHydra
  • Jackett
  • Tautulli
  • Ombi
  • Paperless
  • Firefly III
  • InvoiceNinja
  • Bitwarden

I am also interested in playing with:

• HomeAssistant
  • Minecraft Server
  • Website Hosting

I’ve only recently been playing around with Linux, so it would be nice to build a server that has a little headspace for expansion of things and storage.
I am starting with 2x2TB HDD, but I am looking at upgrading these very soon (I have been reading about shucking 8TB drives - I am still undecided whether that is most affordable way forward).

The servers purpose will be for myself only for the time being, but if things start working well I will likely share the Plex server and some NextCloud features with my close family. Currently, I watch Plex through a Shield and a RaspPi running Kodi, so I shouldn’t be transcoding at all - As for anyone I share with, well I will cross that bridge when I get to it I guess?..

I am more than happy to build this from scratch, however I have also been looking at pre-builds.
One that I have seen recently is a a Dell T310 Poweredge for £130. What are your thoughts?

I’ve also been looking at some dual CPU setups (I honestly didn’t even realise that was a thing until about 2 months ago!).

Additionally, I’ve been solely using Ubuntu Server LTS 18.04 to learn for the time being, but I am not against changing the OS. My thoughts at the moment are that I would buy 2x8TB HDD and then add additional 8TB drives as and when needed, so it would need to be scalable.

I hope that all makes sense, and wasn’t all totally waffle :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve already learnt a lot reading the JDM subreddit, so thanks to anyone that posts there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Rez