First off thank you for all the great content and builds. The knowledge here is pretty amazing and I absolutely love that the instructional are presented in a way a novice can start to grasp.
That being said, never built a computer before, and overall have limited understanding of networking/technology. COVID has started to change that as I first needed to setup my home office and now I’m hooked.
So, I built the NAS 4/5.0 as my first build and upon further reading I see that I need something to transcode if I want to use the NAS as a Plex powerhouse. To combat that I purchased two HP Prodesk 400 G4 Pentium G4560. Why two? They were $90 and this forum led me to believe if I don’t use both for the Plex setup, they will be useful for something else.
NAS to store Movies/Pictures/etc.
Allow family to connect to storage and stream video to TV’s
Allow family to add to storage (I have a 2 year old and the wife takes LOTs of pictures/videos)
When I get a bit more educated, dockers and other fun things
(apologies it won’t be in the cool format others use. All items were purchased with links from the NAS 4.0/5.0 builds. Prices of each are in line with what is stated in those links)
- [Intel Core i5-4670 CPU 3.4GHZ SR14D
- [Arctic ACFAN00135A P12 Value Pack of 5 Pressure Optimized 120 mm Cooling Fan
- [Kingston 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800u (4x4GB) DIMM 1600
- [ASUS B85M-G R2.0, LGA1150, Micro ATX Motherboard
- [LSI SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s 8-Port SAS SATA PCI-E HBA RAID Controller
- [Seagate ST6000NM0034 6TB 7.2K RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" HDD 1HT27Z-001 X1
- [HGST Hitachi 2TB 7.2K SAS 3.5" Hard Drive 6Gb/s HUS723020ALS640 Server Storage X1
- [WESTERN DIGITAL 4TB 7.2K 3.5" SAS WD4001FYYG X1
- [Seagate 3TB Constellation ES.2 ST33000650SS X5
- [Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless
- [Cooler Master N400
- [All appropriate cables
- [No OS
- [HP Prodesk 400 G4 Pentium G4560 X2
- [8gb Ram
- [Previously purchases several SSD’s ranging from 500gb - 1T to use in projects as needed
- [No OS
Congrats and thank you if you made it this far!
- Does the NAS hardware support my Goal? I would much rather have overkill than not enough. I definitely do not need that much storage, but why not? More concerned if it will be “fast” enough and product quality results.
- What Operating System would you recommend for the NAS?
- Still learning about Transcoding. Do I have what is needed as far as hardware goes? Bit fuzzy on how these connect to the NAS. NAS – Switch – Transcoders? Thought maybe use one for 4k stuff and the other for “easier” things?
- Planning on running Quicksync on Transcoders with Ubuntu. I believe this is still the best combo?
Thanks again for all the great information on this site. 3 months ago I couldn’t have even told you want any of this jargon means (still limited). I’m really just amazed and what can be done with all of this and kicking myself that it took me 35 years to start learning!