New Construction Home - Home Network & Server Advice

Currently living with my parents and I’ve got a super simple setup at the moment network/server wise. Looking to improve that when I move.

I do a lot of video editing, twitch/youtube streaming, plex streaming in/out from my personal server, and video uploads. I’m also planning to run HomeAssistant. I am able to get 1.5Gbps or 3Gbps service directly to home via fibre.

I’m currently planning to have the builder run 6a (I’m also going to ask if they can run conduits) to multiple areas around the house for APs, POE Cameras, and hard-wired connections. I’ve marked up my floor plans attached to this post that shows where I’m planning to put everything.

I’m currently not sure if 2.5GbE or 10GbE backbone is the best way to go. I know 2.5GbE is kind of a weird middle point added right now, but I also know a lot of older affordable 10GbE doesn’t support 2.5GbE since it predates it. All of my PCs (main PC, stream PC, and server) all have 2.5GbE ports.

I’m currently stuck trying to figure out what the best router, switch(s), AP combination will be for me in terms of longevity, performance, and affordability. This would be the modem I’d be working with.. I’m strongly considering doing a UDM SE based setup (UDM SE, G5 bullet cams, g4 doorbell, u6 pro APs)

Main rigs are:

Main PC
Streaming PC

Server (running TrueNAS Scale with Plex) - currently using a Lenovo workstation PC with a 7400 in it but I have an 8500T and B360M that I plan to build into the new server once I move. Want to be running HomeAssistant, Plex, and use it as a NAS as well.

I also currently have a bunch of random hardware from work that are not being used right now including:

Cisco Catalyst 3650 48 Port Full PoE 2x10G Uplink (WS-C3650-48FD-L)

Trendnet 24-port Cat6A Shielded 1U Patch Panel

HP Proliant DL180 G6

Dell PowerEdge R720xd

And then some AC86U and AX88U routers I have as well.

I’m not married to these devices and would happily sell them to buy equipment that would better suit my needs.

Welcome to any and all suggestions you may have :slight_smile: