Need help with formatting 14Tb disks

Hi everyone,

I bought a couple of disks from the 14Tb disk group buy (here). I also got myself a Intel® Storage Expander RES3FV288 and an LSI SAS 9300-8i card to I could connect the drives to my system.

The main problem is that I can’t seem to be able to format the hard drivers (or mount them).

gdisk
In the following screenshot you can see I get some read errors but after performing the “o” operation all seems to be fine?

mkfs.ext4
After that I wanted to format the disk to ext4 (just as a test, later on I just wanted them to be used in a zfs pool)

Format seems to be failing for some reason, and I can’t pinpoint what exactly.

SMART
Smart test seems to look fine exept for the amount of fixed errors.

fdisk
In the fdisk output, You can now see the disk (before running gdisk it doesn’t show) with correct size and sector size.

Disks used are ST14000NM0288 and when trying the mkfs.ext4 command with 4Tb disks (ST4000NM0023) it seems to be working so no issue with the SAS expander or LSI card I guess.

Ow, and when I run the cockpit project and try to create a partition table with the UI, I get an “Error wiping device: Failed to probe the device ‘/dev/sdr’” error.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong or how I can fix this issue? It’s the same with all the 14Tb drives I have at the moment, but the 4Tb disks work fine)?

1 Like

Did you ever figure it out?

I removed the protection from my drives by using the following

sg_format --format --fmtpinfo=0 /dev/sdX