NAS Killer v1.0 vs v2.0 vs v3.0, some questions

Hi!
So I’m new here and having looked over all three guides (which are amazing by the way) and I had some questions about the various builds. At this point I’m just looking for some broad ranging feedback, no need to get too into the weeds yet. So, with that said, here we go.

The Goal
I would like to build a NAS for a plex server. I want to use a desktop case as I have no room for the server case. I plan on running unRaid and putting between 4-8 drives in it.

My Question
Other than the obvious fact that the versions go up in price, what are some of the big differences between the builds? Meaning, is version 1 much quieter than the other two? Does version 3 require significantly more power? Will the version 2 case hold fewer drives than the other two?

I’m just trying to get a feel for the pros/cons of each build. Because on one hand, I don’t need a lot of processing power, but on the other hand, I start thinking I could double my processing power for only a few bucks more. But do I really need it if I’m just going to stream a bunch of mp4 files in plex?

Anyway, what do you guys think? Which should I build?

Hey @mr_happy! I think you should check out the newly posted [Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125 - #21.

Between the builds you’ll notice an increase in overall computing power. The builds were also from my understanding made in a way or at a time when the parts for them were on sale as well.

If you are going for just a Plex and storage build I would recommend the NAS 1. I just completed one a few months back. Runs fantastic and you can easily put it in whatever you want, just have to make sure you buy the correct ram.

With that being said, JDM did put together a nice NAS 4 and option 1 looks real good!