NAS Killer 4.0 - Supermicro X9SCM-F | Rosewill RSV-L4500 Build

Quickly got tired of all of the proprietary features of the Dell motherboard / chassis. Decided to take the plunge into a real build.

Parts -

Type Part Cost
Case Rosewill RSV-L4500 (Local) $60
Motherboard Supermicro X9SCM-F $40
CPU (v1 BIOS Updater) Intel Pentium G640 $5
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1220V2 $15
RAM 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800E ECC Server Memory $42
Power Supply EVGA 500 W1 80+ White $40
Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold $40
CPU Cooler Arctic Freezer 12 $24
Fans Noctua 3x120mm, 2x80mm (Included w/ Case) $0
Cache SSD ADATA SU800 1TB (Local) $70
HDDs Hitachi 3TB SAS 4 x $21
SAS HBA LSI SAS9211-8i $22
Full Height Bracket Full Height Bracket $1
Cable SATA Cable $6
Cable SATA Power Splitter $12
Cable SAS → SAS Breakout $13
UNRAID Drive SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Fit $7
Total ~$287 + tax
Total w/ Drives ~$441 + tax

Links/Resources -

X9SCM-F Spec Sheet Including links to BIOS & BMC/IPMI Firmware
Rufus - for creating DOS Bootable drive for upgrading BIOS & BMC/IPMI

The Build -

1. Following with Rule 0, I built everything outside the case
  2. Installed 1 stick of RAM in DIMM2A
  3. Installed Pentium G640 in the socket
  4. Installed the Arctic Freezer 12
  5. Plugged in the power supply (24 pin main power and 12 pin CPU power) and VGA
  6. Booted by jumping pins 1&2 on the front panel header
  7. Verified BIOS was on an older version (I think 1.3)
  8. Plugged in the BIOS update USB DOS stick and rebooted
  9. Booted to the USB drive and installed v2.3 BIOS update with command AMI_1.BAT x9scm8.612
  10. After BIOS update was complete, unplugged the AC power and cleared CMOS by jumping the pins on the CMOS pad
  11. Attempted to do the BMC/IPMI update using USB DOS stick, however when running the command dUpdate.exe -f SMT_X9_352.bin -r n, I was getting an error saying ERROR: OPEN BINARY FILE FAILED. Not sure if this was due to the BMC version on the board being only version 1.x and I was trying to go to 3.x
  12. Plugged in ethernet and accessed the IMPI console using default ADMIN/ADMIN credentials. Navigated to Maintenance > Firmware Update. Followed the instructions and selected the latest BMC/IPMI firmware. MAKE SURE YOU DE-SELECT PRESERVE CONFIGURATION OPTION or you might brick your board (this will clear all IPMI settings)
  13. After the update was complete, shut down the system, plugged in the additional 3 sticks of RAM, and rebooted the system and got into BIOS to verify that everything was up to date and all hardware was identified properly. Now onto the fun part
  14. Installed everything into the L4500 chassis
  15. (Attempted) cable management
  16. Booted into UNRAID and everything was picked up perfectly :tada:

Pictures -

more coming…

Issues -

1. BMC/IPMI update failed via USB stick. Worked perfectly via IPMI console, though.
  2. PSU fan making a ticking noise. Will have to get a replacement from Amazon.

Conclusion -
This is a great case to build in. So much easier than working in the Mini-Tower Dell case, and much more room for expansion.
Thanks to everyone on Discord (JDM, Mthrboard, Seanho, and more) for all of the help along the way!
Very happy with how the build came out, now just need to do a little cable management and make it pretty.

:beers:

Update -
Picked up a refurb Corsair RM550x 550 Watt 80+ Gold for a steal of $40. No more annoying ticking.

Now I just have the constant hum of the HDD caddies in the case (it’s standing sideways, not sure if that causes the sound or what). Easy to drown out with any shows/music on and it’s kind of like white noise at this point.

Awesome deal on the case and fans.