Editing to remove PcPart Picker links

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $120 @ Ebay
Motherboard ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $81 @ Ebay
Memory Team Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $64 @ Ebay
Storage HP M.2 1TB SSD PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD $110 @ Ebay
Storage Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB Internal 7200RPM 3.5" 25.00 @ Ebay
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 480 8 GB RS Video Card - Already bought for $100
Case (picked because I like the look) Aerocool Mechatron-Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $70 @ Ebay
Case Fan ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan 5 Pack $28 @ Amazon

NVMe Heatsink $8

SAS Cable 4 Drive SAS Cable $14

SAS HBA $25

This will be my first build ever! So the only thing I know is what I read online and the youtube videos I’ve been watching. Total budget for this will be around $500.

I’m going to be using this build for some super light gaming like Portal and Rocket League along with the occasional Battlefield V. I’m looking to have it be a plex server as well and I currently have almost 1TB of filled movies. The highest quality which is 1080p. I do some photography randomly but will eventually be getting an actual camera then will editing them on this computer as well, maybe even video editing. For now I want to somehow set up a way to upload pictures from my phone to a hard drive. (no idea where to start)

I do have specific questions like:

Is the CPU compatible with the motherboard? I’m like 99% sure but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Will the case fit all the items? I’m most unsure about this question and I mainly picked this case because of how it looks

Is the power supply enough wattage? From what I’ve read it should…

Please let me know you’re thoughts and where I’ve went wrong or hopefully right! Thank you!

Looks good! Given that you’re picking up an HBA, you should be able to find 3TB SAS drives (HGST) for $21-25.

Be aware PCPP adds their own affiliate code to their links.

1 Like

okay so I’ll be honest I’m picking up an HBA because the NAS killer 4.0 included but have no idea what it does.
That sounds great to pick up more storage for less!

Oh interesting does that also include when you go to smile.amazon.com?

Not sure. Just use standard Amazon and ebay links please!

All removed pc part picker links (sorry!) and replaced with direct product links to either ebay, newegg, amazon, or outletPC. Those good sites? Seem to be the cheapest.

1 Like

That’s fine. 99% of what you’re looking at should be on ebay and Amazon first, only going to newegg or elsewhere if you need to.

Generally speaking, we’re very ebay focused. You can get really great deals and ebay/paypal almost always take the buyer’s side if there’s an issue.

1 Like

Not sure why you need 6 sata cables and 2 breakout cables. Thats 14 drives worth of cables. Is that what you plan running? And if you buy the motherboard it might come with 2 sata cables, my Asrock B250 mobo did.

Since you are going to be playing games with it, I would swap the Team GX2 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive with an M2 drive since the motherboard supports it and it would be much faster (lots of choices, if you have money get a samsung, if not get one of the cheaper brands like: WD M2 drive.

If all you are going to use less than 6 drives, and you arent going to run unraid or a VM then I would forgo the SAS HBA and the breakout cables.

Oh sweet I didn’t know if they would come with cables just figured I would have to do it all separately.

I found this Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD for $90 and at reported 3,500MB/s read speeds that seems very weirdly high but excited to see how it works out.

I don’t know much about unraid or even how to set up a VM but one day I’ll probably want to. So I think I’m just preparing for the possible future. And I could always buy those in the future.

The performance differences among high-end consumer NVMe drives are miniscule. Do not waste your money on Samsung’s name.

$90 for 500GB is crap; if you’re dead set on an NVMe drive, you can get a 1TB HP EX920 for $108. It performs similarly and has the same endurance rating and warranty.
You could alternatively get an OEM 500GB one for ~$50.

I have no idea how much storage I’ll need but 1TB sounds great. I’m purely speculating about what I will actually use a desktop for. The last time I had one of mine own was about 14 years ago.

Do you think I should get a NVMe? Like will it be worth it? Or should I just get an SSD in a SATA drive?

Previously, I wouldn’t ever recommend an NVMe drive unless they specifically had a workload that would benefit from the sequential performance (i.e. video editing), as the actual performance metric that applies to general use (4K random) is not that significantly improved.

That said, the price difference nowadays is marginal, so there’s hardly a reason not to get one to shave a few seconds off of clip loading. I just wanted to caution you against spending too much on one that doesn’t net any benefit over effectively the same device with a different sticker.

That 1TB HP NVMe I linked is pretty much the sweet spot for SSD bang for your buck. It’s plenty of space for a standard daily driver, and if you find yourself wanting more, spinning rust is real cheap.

1 Like

Yes, as mentioned there is no reason not to get one for a windows pc. In addition it frees up a sata port.

1 Like