So this is my first time building a NAS and I just have completed it with the help of the forum and everyone here including the discord server so just want to share my build and my completion with everyone as a token to show appreciation for the community.
I have not used UNRAID and I heard a lot of good things about UNRAID so I decided to join the journey. I owned 2 QNAP NAS, nothing fancy but it has served it purposed as a media server and self host for my back up document. But my QNAP is kind of slow and I almost run out of storage so it is the perfect time for me to look for alternative with the same cost of the machine and I found this forum. I thought about NAS killer 4.0 and was selecting some hardware that go toward the NAS Killer 4.0 but I guess when the time comes, I saw a deal on eBay for the motherboard and CPU so I pull the plug and decided to go with NAS Killer 5.0. Below is my cost and the part that I used for my configuration
- |Case|Cooler Master N400| $66.05 |
- |Mobo|SuperMicro MBD- X10SLL-F Intel Xeon i3 LGA1150 DDR3-1600 ATX Server MotherBoard| $82.58 |
- |CPU|Intel Xeon E3-1280 V3 E3-1280V3 3.60GHz 8MB LGA1150 Processor| $105.68 |
- |RAM|Micron 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800E 1600MHz DDR3 ECC| $33.02 |
- |PSU|EVGA - W3 Series 450W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - White| $35.22 |
- |Cache Drive|Samsung 512GB| $- |
- |CPU Cooler|ARCTIC Alpine 12 LP| $11.00 |
- |SAS Controller|LSI SAS 9207-8i PCI-E 3.0 Adapter LSI00301 IT Mode Card Host Bus Adapter US| $57.20 |
- |Cable|CABLEDECONN Mini SAS 36 SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 Connectors with SATA Power 1m| $15.84 |
- |Fans|ARCTIC P12 PWM PST Value Pack - 120 mm Case Fan, Five Pack, PWM Sharing Technology (PST), Pressure-optimised, Very quiet motor, Computer, 200-1800 RPM - Black/Black | $45.09 |
I have purchased the drive on Bitdeals Tech 2x12 TB (one for parity and one for my storage), I also have another 12TB WD drive that I want to shuck it to include in my build as well.
The whole journey was fun, that I actually need to do the research on my own and run into multiple hitcup along the way but thanks again to everyone on the server to help me remove that road blocks. The part of waiting for the part to come, put them together is exciting. The total time for me to wait for the part to come was about a month and a half, I’ve waited for all the parts include the hard drive to come to put them together and it probably took me about 2 day (on and off, just build it on my free time) and I have completely put them together.
Finally my UNRAID is up and running.
I know I need to do a better job on cable management but this is the best I can do so far so looking for some opinions. Also I have a question about the LSI SAS card, as you can see in the picture that I just plug it into the PCI slot, but does not screw them to the back of the panel to secure it, is it ok to leave it so or how can I secure the card for stopping it to fall out.