Multi-raid vs single raid for NAS (OMV) on Proxmox + BlueIris + VMs/Containers?

Would love to get input on whether I should use two separate RAID arrays vs single RAID array for the following use case; a white box server with Proxmox installed on bare metal w/ OMV VM, Blue Iris VM, and a bunch of other VM’s/containers. Proxmox will be installed as ZFS Raid1 on two 256 SSD’s (either NVMe or SATA).

Here are the two options:

• Option 1:

• 6 x 4TB (WD Red Plus) RAID6 using SnapRAID+mergerfs for OMV media storage, also using this storage for VM’s and containers
    • 3 x 8TB (WD Purple) RAID5 using SnapRAID+mergerfs for BlueIris VM video recordings (writing/reading)
  • Option 2:

• 7 x 8TB (WD Red Plus) RAID6 using SnapRAID+mergerfs with one share mount point for OMV VM media and another share mount point for Blue Iris VM recordings. Other VM’s/containers can also use the same share mount as OMV VM.

I’ll most likely use 5x 4K MP cameras w/ H.264 (medium) on substream @ 15fps, most likely be at 8mbps for each IP camera. Not sure if I would need to have a 10gb NIC and SFP+ switch port to be on the safe side for saturating LAN connection.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated! Thank you!

I would keep the BlueIris stuff separate. both physically and virtually

Hi @faultline - BlueIris will be in its own VLAN w/ no internet on its own VM within Proxmox. I should be able to have enough resources with my CPU/Mobo combo. I think in the future I’d like to separate, but for now will be using it on the same machine.

If you don’t mind me asking; based on the above info, is there a pros/cons to going two separate raid arrays versus one for my use use case?

Yeah if one array tanks you have the other. Among others

Good point, it’s something I was thinking of as well. Also thinking that constant writing (and some reading) to disk for BlueIris will prob work better on a separate array. Would you say WD Red Plus for OMV and WD Purple for BlueIris be the best bet? Or should I consider other drives for these purposes?

If my motherboard doesn’t have enough SATA ports, would I need an HBA to supplement? If so, is there a recommended HBA for this kind of scenario?