Moderro IEC-4660 Teardown and Info

These popped up on ebay a week ago, seems like they’re quite uncommon as I didn’t see much from searching more details on them.

It came with a 12V 5.4A power supply, and a VESA mounting plate with some screws.

Power draw is very good, with around 2W consumption while booted up and idle in linux.

Opening it up is easy, you only need to remove the 2 recessed silver screws on the bottom, and the cover slides off to give access to the heatsink and lid of the metal inner case. Taking that off reveals the system board.

Hardware

• Passively cooled
  • i3-7100u
  • 1x 4GB RAM module, with 1x empty slot (2 slots total)
  • 32GB m.2 SATA SSD
  • 4x external USB 3.0 ports
  • 1x internal USB port located under a plastic cover in the front, not sure if 2.0 or 3.0
  • IR receiver on the front
  • Mini DisplayPort and DisplayPort connectors, I was able to get 4k 60hz output. BIOS only seems to work through the DP connector, and not miniDP
  • Ethernet port
  • 3.5mm Line out and Mic in Ports
  • 3.5mm ‘IR Extension’ Port
  • 3.5mm RS232 Port

Software

I did boot it up with the default software, which is some kind of digital signage system made by Moderro. I managed to get a shell login and it showed that they’re running Ubuntu 16.04.

BIOS key is F7 which took me a bit to figure out.

I’ve installed both Fedora and W10 without any issues, it boots from USB just fine.

Photos

Plastic case removed

IR receiver and internal USB port

Internals

Heatsink with a rather odd thermal pad setup. Cools just fine though with temps sitting around 40-50C so far.

3 Likes

They are pretty affordable at retail.

https://www.insight.com/en_US/shop/product/C-IEC-4660-HW-K9/Moderro+Technologies/C-IEC-4660-HW-K9/MODERRO-IEC-4660-HW-CLIENT/

Thank you for this, Woof! Picked up two of them to play with and test as a plex host, but was having issues getting into the BIOS. Your post was amazingly timed!

1 Like

One observed difference: on the first unit (haven’t hooked up the 2nd one yet) I could not get the DisplayPort to work for BIOS, only the miniDP. It could have been a bad DP cable, but the miniDP port is working for me for BIOS.

Strange, maybe it’s just my cable causing issues for the miniDP.

1 Like

Or the display not liking the input.

1 Like

I use the same display with both cables, but yeah maybe the miniDP cable I have is doing some weird resolution choice that the display doesn’t accept.

I delivered one to the AV engineer at work and he’s having a field day with it.

1 Like