I am thinking about at the very least figuring out a way to add more storage to my current configuration or upgrading my ‘server’ as a whole.
The current setup I have now is a few years old so forgive how bad it is:
- AMD A10-6790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
- MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard
- 2x ADATA XPG V1.0 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
- Silverstone ML04B HTPC Case
- Corsair Builder 430 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
- A mashup of HDDs including 1 60GB SSD for the OS, 1 3TB HDD (storing movies), and 2 4TB HDD (1 for storing TV shows and the other for downloads)
I currently use the server for Plex mainly and a few side things with Ubuntu Server and Docker. My containers include:
- Plex stack
- UniFi Controller
- Trilium (Notes but I use it for documentation and how I do/did things)
- Wekan (Kanban to help me keep track of things)
- Resilio Sync (Backup to NAS and offsite NAS)
- Firefox (to get around my works filters -.-)
- VS Code (for slow nights at work)
- every now and then, I spin up a game server for thing like Minecraft or Factorio
I am looking in to switching to UnRAID so that I can expand my storage since I am running out, and so I can add parity since I have none right now for any of my stuff on that server. It would also allow me to mix and mash the various drives I have lying around. That will be a project in itself to set up.
I am either looking to put everything in to a single case and build a new server or a way to add rack mountable storage to my current setup and add a GPU to offload Plex transcoding to.
I have a 15U rack that is bolted to the wall that is 17" deep.
If I go with an all in one package, I have 5U that I can play with. I would definitely like to keep it as cheap as possible, quiet as possible since it will be near a community space, and to keep it within the rack. I know my options are limited on cases because I don’t have a full size rack. I would just like to be able to expand the storage in the future as the need arises.
If I go with expandable storage, I have 2U to play with. If need be, I can take the raceway out and gain another U. Again, as cheap as possible, as quiet as possible, and needs to be able to fit in the rack. I also would like to get a graphics card to be able to transcode my Plex library. I have seen something about a P2000 a few times. Would anyone recommend something better?
Thanks for reading any any suggestions that you can provide!