Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 QUAD CORE 3.40Ghz E3-1245v3 8GB RAM 1TB HD TOWER

found this server for cheap just wonder if its worth picking up for a NAS.
specs:

• Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 TOWER
  • 1 x Intel Quad Core 3.40GHz E3-1245v3 Processor
  • 8Gb Memory Installed (DDR3)
  • 2 x 500GB SATA Hard Drives Installed( NO SOFTWARE INSTALLED )
  • ONBOARD VIDEO
  • SINGLE POWER SUPPLY INSTALLED

That largely depends on how much it is and what you want to do with it.

It’s in bid for 150 with no bids and ends in less than a day also can make offers. I’m just looking to make it do some type of file server or backup server. I’m new to all this but I’ve been look everything up the last few days and have been looking at the nas 4.0 build on here.

I’ve been using a TS140 with 4x WD Red 3TB drives for years as a FreeNAS server also running Plex. It’s a nice quiet, relatively low-power draw machine. (Mine idles at about 60 watts.) It only has two internal 3.5" drive bays. I mounted the other two in a 5.25 slot and in the external 3.5" slot. You can’t really get more than 5 drives into it unless you hack on the case. The motherboard only has 5 SATA connectors though, so you’d also need to add an HBA. Cooling might be an issue at that point. If you can make do with 4 or 5 drives total, then it’s decent.

This person transplanted his into another case to get more drives:

I have been using one as an unRaid server for the past 4 years. I like that you can use Quick Sync for Plex HW transcoding. Runs lots of docker containers and light use VMs. I highly recommend one for unRaid.

Primary unRAID Server AKA TOWER
Case & Mobo Lenovo TS140 stock
CPU Xeon E3-1225 v3
RAM 32 GB DDR3 Crucial ECC (4x 8GB)
CPU Cooler Stock Cooler
Power Supply Stock 280 W
SSD Cache Samsung EVO 850 250GB
HDD 2x 14 TB WD Whites (WD140WEMFZ)
HDD 2x 3 TB WD Reds
USB Drive SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive
Add in Card IBM 81Y4494 H1110 SAS-2 6Gbps HBA LSI 9211-4i P20 IT Mode
OS Unraid Basic