JDM's UBNT Unifi AP Wifi Preferences and Optimizations

There’s not a whole lot to do here, but here’s my standard configuration.

Set 5.0 and 2.4 networks to have completely different SSIDs.

Here, I’ve created two different Wirless Groups (one for 2.4 and one for 5.0) each with their own network name. I use the 2.4GHz for longer range connections and devices which require high availability, such as smart home devices. (Echo Dots, Thermostat, smart switches, etc.) I use the 5.0 for just about every device that supports it otherwise.

Once you’ve created both your 5.0 and 2.4 groups with at least one network in each, apply them to each access point.

Click on the AP you want to manage, click the settings gear, and then the WLANS tab.

Add in each group to its respective section, and queue the changes.

Use channels 11 and 36 for best performance

Under each access point, click the settings gear, then the radios tab. For 2.4 use channel 11, and for 5.0 use channel 36.

There are other channels that can give you good performance, but I’ve found these work best for me. Use the same channel on all access points if you have multiple.

I started doing this back when I had a Nvidia shield and was experiencing poor WIFI performance. Here are some other WIFI channels you can try, according to the NVIDIA forums (applies to all / most 5.0 and 2.4 devices):

After changing these settings on each AP, don’t forget to queue the changes.

I have a metric whack-ton of WIFI devices, and here’s what my utilization looks like:

You want your Access Point Retry Rate to look something like this:

And your Dropped Packets to look like this:

5 Likes

This is awesome. Can’t wait to try this out.
Any ideas on some firewall settings? I left mine default. Disabled the one on the ATT RG.

Here’s a WiFi speed test on my iPhone XS connected to my AP-AC-LITE.

I’m just using the default firewall settings on pfSense…

You actually shouldn’t do this, it’s pretty much exclusively used for fast-roam/UBNT’s zero handoff, but client devices handle roaming just fine on their own. Multiple APs should be on separate channels to reduce interference (1, 6, and 11 on 2.4 to reduce overlap), and if you’ve got quite a few, transmit power reduced as well (on the 2.4 band).

There’s also no set channels you should use, it’s dependent upon local interference/other radios in your area. You should do an RF scan to give you an idea of how significant the interference is if your AP supports it, otherwise use something like WiFi Analyzer on an Android phone to at least see what sort of channel availability you’re looking at. You may have to restrict your 2.4GHz band to 20MHz if it’s awfully congested (though it’s considered best practice to always have 2.4 limited to 20).

Interesting, I’ve had really good experiences running it this way. Last time I had things on separate channels must have been two years ago. I guess I’ll have to do some more testing.

Since you’ve got hardly any noise on your 2.4GHz band, it’ll barely make any difference; you’d most likely only notice a difference on devices that are at the edges of your APs’ reach, as that’s where issues are compounded. But, for people in packed neighborhoods/apartments, finding some free channel space can be night and day.

My experience corresponds with Riggi’s. Multiple APs go on non-overlapping channels. Also second the tuning of transmit power for distinct coverage areas with clean handoff (although nothing wireless is ever clean).

1 Like

I’ve definitely toned down the transmit power, but I haven’t messed with the channels. Seems like a project for this week.

Another tip I have used for heavy congested areas (2.4G) is that you can use smaller channels. The devices with the 2.4G chipsets likely aren’t high bandwidth, and you can usually find one of the smaller channels that’s clean.