Intel Xeon Options

If you had to pick between these Xeon CPU options for a server that will be used for:

• Plex (6-7 Users, with 3-4 max concurrent)
    • Sonar
    • Radarr
    • Usenet
    • possibly some game servers

Which would be sufficient:

• Dual Xeon L5639 (16GB Ram)
    • Dual Xeon X5650 (16GB Ram)
    • Dual Xeon E5-2660 (32GB Ram)
    • Xeon E3-1230 v2 (16GB Ram)

Thanks.

Depends on the game servers, but I would lean towards the e5-2660’s. The L and X are too old and power hungy. The e3-1230 v2 would be significantly taxed if multiple plex users make it transcode since it has no quicksync and only 8K passmark.

If you thow out the game servers and are certain that your users will direct play then you can go with the e3-1230 v2 and save on the power and cost.

Ok, what if I told you this wouldn’t be housed at my house so don’t have to worry about power and if I probably wasn’t going to do game servers (it was just a small posibility)

Then which options would look good to you?

Also, would dual Xeon 5520 setup handle 2-3 simultaneous streams?

Thanks.

Dual Xeon E5-2660 (32GB Ram)

Uh, what?

Is that in response to me or him? lol

The Dual Xeon E5-2660 (32GB Ram) is similar to my setup. It should run everything you want an then some. Also depending on the Motherboard you would still possibly have some room to upgrade to V2 processors.

Dual Xeon E5-2660 (32GB Ram)

Plex (6-7 Users, with 3-4 max concurrent)
    Sonar
    Radarr
    Usenet
    possibly some game servers

I’m doing all of that now on an old Xeon x5650 and 16GB of ram. Well my users moved over to my newer system at the beginning of the year, so it hardly gets used today.

But for the past 5 years, that x5650 has done it all without breaking a sweat. The lack of RAM was my biggest issue.