My old machine has served me well for 6+ years, but it’s starting to slog a bit. Current machine serves as a NAS/Plex/etc/etc box (everything in Docker or VMs).
I’d like to have HW transcode. Currently I just run Ubuntu 16.04. I’d consider Unraid or something, but haven’t dug in the current state of the art.
My current system has 10x 5TB WD Red, ZFS RAIDZ2 - works great, planning to move this zpool over to the new system.
In general, I don’t mind spending a bit more where it makes sense to. As in the past this machine will be running 24/7 and I won’t be doing much tweaking of the hardware for hopefully another 5-7 years once it’s built. I’d rather do it right the first time.
- Rosewill 4U RSV-L4500 Case + Rails
- Gigabyte C246-WU4 ATX mobo (has 10 SATA ports)
- i7-9700K or i9-9900K, leaning towards the i7 but I could be convinced to pull the trigger on the i9
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler
- G. Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB x 2
- Crucial P2 1TB m.2 NVME (boot & cache)
- Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold (I could possibly keep my current PSU… It’s a Rosewill CAPSTONE 850M 80+ GOLD). (PCPP rates the build at 334W, which is less than my current machine)
Looking at about $1100 for this ($125 less if I reuse the old PSU).
Would love to know if my parts list makes sense, any critiques, etc…