HP Z820 SAS Drive

I am looking at purchasing 2x 8TB SAS drives. I came across this eBay listing and was wondering if it would be compatible with my HP Z820. I have seen HGST drives with similar specs as well. Much appreciated.

Here is what I found in the Z820 spec sheet

Can you please share some pics of your HP Z820 and where the SAS connectors are?

SAS drives will be compatible, provided you have a SAS controller. What OS are you running?

1 Like

Hello @JDM_WAAAT . My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I was under the impression that I would receive an email notification when someone replied to my inquiry. I better verify those settings. The Z820 comes with the integrated LSI SAS 2308 Controller. I have tried connecting several HGST 8TB SAS (Sun Oracle) drives to the controller to no avail.

The controller’s RAID configuration utility simply will not recognize either of the two drives that I insert into the drive bay. I was thinking of perhaps an Adpatec 71605 but have no way of knowing if I am going to run into the same compatability issues. I do know that the Adaptec card is compatible with the version of ESXi that I am running but that is just half if the solution

In addition to what Jdm asked for can you show a picture of the config utility and/or mention what controller is onboard?

The ifixit tear down of one of these indicates a sata only configuration in spite of toolless backplane

1 Like

Thank you for chiming in @stuffwhy Here is a screenshot of the LSI config utility

And I did mention the onboard controller in my response to @JDM_WAAAT

Integrated LSI SAS 2308 Controller with RAID

Please upload your pictures directly to the forum and do not use external image hosting sites.

1 Like

Understood @JDM_WAAAT. The only reason I did that is because so many other forums dicourage the insertion of media directly into the message itself. Must be a database thing I suppose. Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated. Peter