🎅 Ho ho ho Newcomer seeking guidance

Ho ho ho everyone :santa:

I’ve recently discovered this community of passionate and enthusiasts builders and the timings for me could not be better as I’m soon moving to a new home (it’s two home in fact). As an intersting note for sourcing hardware, I’m living in Europe :eu:.

I’ve some experience with unify hardware as I currently embraced the whole unify package with CCTV, router, switch and access point, I’ve also some (basic) knowledge in wiring and building a network bay.

Currently in the process of gathering as much information as I can, I’m planing on building a new home lab with:

• a new custom Network Area Storage
  • a new CCTV system relying on Shinobi
  • a homeassistant install for inteligent home

I plan to separate CCTV hardware from NAS and have it on a hardware dedicated to the shinobi system (not a beast, but just enough to have motion detection working without issue for 10+ cameras). I still don’t know much about the hardware requirements, the streams would be saved to the “to-be-made” NAS.

Speaking about the NAS itself, I would like to have enough storage for CCTV, hosting my homeassistant install and being able to connect the Zigbee or other component through USB. It would run 24/7, probably on unraid as suggested in many of the others threads.

I don’t have a budget (yet) in mind, I’m more about buying the right components and take my time to source them rather than having all ready within a week or two.

Thank you for welcoming me to this community !

Hi guys !

After a lot of thinking, compiling resources and doing research on the second hand market, amazon and Ebay, I’ve set up a plan to build a more powerful nas than I initially anticipated.

I planed to separate my CCTV install from my NAS / Home Assistant setup, but having to build two separate hardware would be costly, and I still, can separate my CCTV hardware later on when I expand my cameras and wire more my houses (I have two house and one garage on my parcel).

My objectives with this build are to have storage capacity (>= 16TO), enough PCI.E (2.5/10 Gps, SAS card), a processor that would provide power for having CCTV software (Shinobi or other), Unraid, HomeAssistant, and maybe a plex server for two concurrent streams.
The case form factor should not be too big, and be quiet, n400 chassis was too big for my possibilities.

Here is a snapshot of my progress in identifying hardware that seems to fit my needs and more important that I could source (costs are more or less right):

PCPartPicker Part List

I’ve not included any of the disks, because for now, as I want to take my time, I’m not sure about either going with sata (the mobo as 6 slots) or exploiting the PCI.E and have SAS drives.

Here is why I’ve choosen some of the components:

• i5-9600T: is 1151 9th Gen (power over cost), 35w TDP, can QuickSync and should handle both CCTV and plex if I’m right
  • Artic Alpined 12 LP: Basic cooler, seems to do the job
  • ASRock B365M : 6x SATA, 2x PCI.E x16 + 1 PCI.E x1, 4 memory slots up to 64 GB, LGA 1151
  • Fractal 804: Dimensions, 10x 3.5", M.ATX, aesthetic

For the RAM, I did choose what is available (right now, but will surely change in the future) on the second hand market of my country.

Do not hesitate to judge any of the listed parts or if you think I made the right picks, tell me, it would encourage me to go further with more confidence.

Welcome to Serverbuilds!

It looks like you have everything pretty well figured out. That build looks like more than enough server for the use case you mentioned. If you are not planning on running many VM’s or Docker containers beyond what you have mentioned then you could potentially downgrade to a core i3 and 32 GB of RAM and put the extra money towards disks.

If DDR4-2666 is expensive locally you could try looking for DDR4-3200 instead. When I was putting my build together DDR4-3200 was actually less expensive than DDR4-2666, at least in the US, and will run just fine at 2666 Mhz.

In any case Happy Holidays and enjoy the new build!

Hi @Ian, thank you for passing by !

The motherboard I can locally source only supports up to 2666mhz DDR4, it’s definitely a tradeoff but I’ll go that way.

For the storage, I’m trying to acquire 6x ST6000NM0034 SEAGATE HARD DRIVE 6TB 7.2K 12G NL-SAS 3.5 LFF.
I’ve see them in other build, it seems like they will just work fine.

I’m trying to figure out which HBA card to acquire. As heat dissipation makes me a little nervous in a 804 case which I aim to be silent, I’ll go for an LSI cards and may add a fan straight away.

First time with hba cards, I dont understand the differences with the prices for a given model:

• LSI 9201-8i = (9211-8i) 6 Gbit/s SAS HBA FW : P20 mode IT ZFS FreeNAS unRAID (30$)
  • LSI 9207-8i 6Gbs SAS/SATA PCI-E 3.0 FW: P20 IT Mode For ZFS FreeNAS unRAID US (73$)
  • LSI 9272-8I 8-Port 6Gbps PCI-e IT MODE FW:P20 S2308 9207-8 I+2*SFF8087 SATA US (63$)

I totally admit that I’m still gathering knowledge and do not have a good understanding of the requirements around connecting the drives, I’ve selected this LSI card because I’ve seen it in other build and assumed it would work with the drives with adequate sas to sata cables

Could the communty give me advices on which HBA card should I use to connect 6 sas drives and maybe point me towards a reference ?

Thank you and I wish everyone to have nice xmas holidays.

(as i’m not allowed to post it in builds, i’ll continue here)

Finally, almost a month later and after a bunch of discoveries here I am with a finished build.

The Fractal Node 804 is a nice case, and I’m loving it but when assembling different parts, you definitely have to be creative with placing components, air flow and cable management, it is a small place to work in.

As a reminder, and before posting the full and exhaustive pc parts, my initial goal was to build a NAS for storage, hosting a CCTV system such as Shinobi for around 10 cameras, being able to play media with at most 2 concurrent streams and finally hosting HomeAssistant for an inteligent home.

My plan was to build a 30 To NAS with 1 To cache + an unsassigned ssd of 500 Go for applications and docker containers.
I’m pretty happy that even under some load the disks stay at 40 degrees, which in a case like this is pretty good, and in order to achieve that I snitched a vent in between the disk bay, otherwise it would reach the 50 degrees.

So here is what i achieve to build, and most importantly source from Europe:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-9600T 2.3 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor 107.00 €
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Alpine 12 LP CPU Cooler 20.00 €
Motherboard ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 50.00 €
Memory Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory 69.25 €
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive 48.99 €
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive 87.99 €
Storage Seagate Enterprise 6 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive 45.00 €
Case Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case 128.00 €
Power Supply Corsair RM650 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 99.95 €
Case Fan ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack 31.99 €
Custom LSI LOGIC SAS 9207-8i Storage Controller LSI00301 59.00 €
Custom StarTech.com 4x SATA Power Splitter Adapter Cable (PYO4SATA) 7.50 €
Custom StarTech.com 4x SATA Power Splitter Adapter Cable (PYO4SATA) 7.50 €
Custom CableDeconn Mini SAS 36 SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 Connectors With SATA Power 1m 18.99 €
Custom CableDeconn Mini SAS 36 SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 Connectors With SATA Power 1m 18.99 €
Custom be quiet ! MC1 M.2 SSD Cooler Heatsink Dissipateur thermique pour modules 2280 à simple et double face 11.99 €
Custom be quiet ! MC1 M.2 SSD Cooler Heatsink Dissipateur thermique pour modules 2280 à simple et double face 11.99 €
Total 1049.13 €

Here are some pictures of the build:

Almost all the parts received

Cooling the LSI Card

Sas disks in place with modified Sata Power to 3.3v

As a side note, I would like to thank the discord community, that helped me diagnose the issue with the 3.3v.
Now is the time to enjoy this build…

2 Likes

Looking good so far, nice pictures!

Nice build, looks great!

You are certainly not going to have any airflow issues.