I found this place doing research looking to upgrade my underpowered home server.
Current rig is probably 10 years old.
- Zotac Atom D510 ITX board
- 8gb of DDR2
- LianLi Q25
- 430w Antec supply I had sitting around
- Cheapo sata controller
- 120 GB samsung ssd I got for free w/ ubuntu server installed
- 5 2TB HDDs in an mdadm raid 5 various makes, models, and speeds
It’s also been accumulating tasks for 10 years.
- Bitwarden server
- Bitcoin full node
- Monero full node
- Seafile for documents and music
- Runs a Pleroma instance
- XMPP server
- Hosts a web interface and another site as Tor Hidden services
- about a dozen python bots for web scraping, crypto trading, home automation, etc
- Hosts an urbit ship
- Occasional torrent duties
- Print server
Its not a flashy rig but Its mostly done everything I’ve asked it to do. I think the Q25 is generally well liked but I’ve always found it pretty loud. Not sure if I want to keep the case replace the guts or start fresh. ITX mobos seem to hold their value a little too well so replacing everything may offer more bang for the buck.
I do have an old gaming PC with an AMD Phenom II 1090T I could press into service but reading through the various builds on here is giving me the itch for some newer old hardware! I also recently got a free pair of PERC 310H SAS controllers, a bunch of SAS cables, and a couple of sas drives from work. A cursory scan of ebay seems prices are quite a bit inflated from those of the NAS 4.X/5.0 series guides. Where is the value at today?
A question I do have is should I stick with mdadm for my purposes? The freedom of mergerFS/snapraid appeals. I see the zfs is popular too.
Thanks guys, love what I’m learning here!