I’m looking for some help building my first server. I’ve been hopping around reddit and various other forums with varying degrees of engagement and quite a range in response. I’m hoping i’ll have more luck here
I’ve been building my own gaming PCs for about 20 years now but I’ve never built a server so I lack knowledge in hardware requirements.
Fair warning, this could be a long post but I want to try and include as much detail as possible, don’t feel the need to respond to everything
Here are my requirements:
- Largely photo & music storage + “some” video
- Music streaming is a primary focus, I have a large music collection and I’d like to explore options for streaming to other devices (maybe Jellyfin).
- Potentially “some” media streaming though this is quite low on the list (I don’t mind if I add this later)
- Space for 4 - 8 drives should be plenty
- I currently have a small 2 bay Synology NAS that I want to replace with this setup. Partly because I want something more expandable, partly because I want more power and freedom to experiment outside of Synology’s ecosystem.
- Game servers
- Likely no more than 2 - 3 servers running at any one time (often times none at all)
- Mostly looking at hosting games like Minecraft, Rust & DayZ etc using docker containers.
- Probably max 5 - 10 players
- Home automation
- Something relatively new to me but something I want to explore
- Virtual Environments
- I’m a software engineer in training so I’d like somewhere to experiment with different OS, maybe host a couple of small websites though I think a lot of this can be done with docker containers these days.
After speaking to a few people from other communities, I was starting to lean towards an i5-10400 CPU but then whenever I asked for opinions, I kept getting told to buy enterprise grade components so that’s about as far as I got.
I’m quite keen to build my own from consumer parts and one of the absolute keys is that it needs to be power efficient (ideally quiet too). Apparently enterprise grade hardware can be quite power hungry and I’m also likely going to have depth limits so I feel that enterprise grade hardware just won’t be suitable.
I’m thinking rackmount as I’d like to get a Ubiquiti UDM at some point to handle my network.
I don’t have much of a budget, I guess I’m aiming around £500 (yes I’m from the UK, call it $500) but ultimately I’m just looking for something cost effective. I can spend more but I don’t want to spend thousands if I won’t see that benefit with my requirements.
Any tips to get me started and on the right track would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Will hopefully set up a build post when I have a bit more of a plan in place but ultimately just feeling pretty overwhelmed at the moment and not sure where to start.
If you made it this far, thanks!!