Help with Case for SM X9DRi-LN4F+

Hi

I have made a good deal on a Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ but I’m in doubt which tower case fits this big boy best. So far my main contenders are Phanteks Enthoo Pro or the Fractal Design XL R2, as they are the two cases I have seen most people suggesting for big mobos. However, I am open for suggestions as long as we are talking comparable price range.

The Enthoo Pro doesn’t officially fit SSI-EEB+, but I have seen people elsewhere getting it to work with this mobo though only with 5-6 standoffs in the lower half of the mobo which is not ideal.

The XL R2 also doesn’t officially support the SSI-EEB+ either, but it supports “ATX XL” whatever that is. I haven’t found anyone actually stating that they successfully fitting the X9DRi-LN4F+. Does any of you know if or how it fits?

Advice is much appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

I have the X9DR3-LN4F+ (same physical dimensions as your X9DRi) running in the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

It’s a tight fit, and at the top of the case where there’s no post screws I ended up using a zip tie to keep the motherboard from flexing/breaking from the weight of my cpu coolers.

https://imgur.com/2CV4d7n

Also, you may want to look into power extensions for the EPS and ATX power cables. One of my EPS cables made it up the back side, but you can see in the photo I had to snake the other EPS up the middle between the ram slots.

You can see all my photos and my comments in my imgur gallery here.

I caused my own fitment issues by wanting to use the 3 bay to 4 HDD cage. Also, the motherboard will cover some of the grommets used for snaking the power cables (hence the want/need for extensions mentioned earlier).

SO yeah, the board will fit, and shit will get janky as fuck, but it will work. Maybe the Fractal case will be better, I don’t know.

@mauirixxx thanks for sharing. Now I know what awaits me if I follow that route.

Researching hours on end yesterday I stumbled upon the Raijintek Zofos Evo. They state conflicting information on their website about which motherboards it supports but at least two times they mentioning EE-ATX support. Now I don’t know the difference between SSI-EEB+ and EE-ATX?

Also this isn’t the style I was looking for and I don’t know about the build quality of Raijintek, but if it does in fact, truly support the mobo (as in no drilling, sawing, etc.) I guess I’m not in a position to be all too picky with the current (lack of) selection.

Also I have seen people mentioning the following cases as possible solutions:
Corsair 750D
Corsair 900D (discontinued AFAIK)
Phanteks Enthoo Primo (confirmed to support the mobo in one sentence on a forum, no pics, no details)

Any thoughts anyone?

Primo will work, the corsairs will not.

Why are you looking at that motherboard specifically?

I used that motherboard (X9DRI-LN4F+ Rev 1.2) and got a Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower (PH-ES614P_BK) and it baaareeelyyy fit lol. Works fine for me now, but in hindsight maybe I should’ve looked around a little more. Good case though. Also, you have to slightly modify the case to put the motherboard studs in the right place :sweat_smile:

Primo will work, the corsairs will not.

Why are you looking at that motherboard specifically?

Thanks. EE-ATX ain’t my favorite option as 16 ram slots are plenty for my needs - Square ILM is nice though, but at least at the moment, I’m able to pick up the X9DRI-LN4F+ way cheaper than any of the E-ATX options on the list. Prices and availability are quite different in Europe…

I used that motherboard (X9DRI-LN4F+ Rev 1.2) and got a Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower (PH-ES614P_BK) and it baaareeelyyy fit lol…

Yeah I’ve seen the pics and it doesn’t look optimal but at least it can be done.

An SM X9DRH-7F came up yesterday and the seller accepted my offer so my headaches with the “X9DRI-LN4F+”-compatible case is luckily over.

Thanks for your help

1 Like