Help upgrading to a 5.0 or better?

Hello all!

Using one of JDM_WAAAT old posts in r/Plex as a guide I built my UNRAID/Plex server and cut the cord 4 years ago and it’s time for an upgrade! It’s primarily used as a media server, though I wouldn’t mind being able to add a few dockers to run some older PC games across my network in the future.

I share it with approx 15 people and have had, at most, 5 concurrent streams. No current 4K needs.

Here’s what I have currently:

Current Build:

• Case: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis/Server Case/Rackmount Case
  • Board: Supermicro X8DT3
  • CPUs: 2 x Intel Xeon X5679 @ 2.93GHz
  • Mem: 40 GIB DDR3 Multi-bit ECC
  • Power: Seasonic X-850 Watt SS-850KM3 850w ATX/EPS
  • Cache Drive: Mushkin REACTOR 1TB Internal Solid State Drive
  • Media Drives:
    • Parity 2x HGST 6TB SAS
    • Media 13 total drives
      • 6x Hitachi 2TB SATA
      • 5x HGST 4TB SAS
      • 2x HGST 6TB SAS
        What can I re-use and what should I replace to ensure no power issues, no transcode issues, and be somewhat future proof for a while? SWMBO says budget is flexible as she likes having the server. :slight_smile:

What are the current issues/limitations? Docker containers don’t really take up that much cpu/memory requirements. What are you current CPU loads? Are you hitting a bottleneck somewhere that you are looking to get rid of?

Good questions! Currently having an issue with buffering and stuttering in Plex playback if I’m also grabbing new episodes or movies.

It’s quite possible I’m just falling victim to my usual “Brighter, more shiny, prettier” problem with wanting to build/get new stuff.

~Conan

What is your current cache/shares setup? Share some pics!

You have a really solid machine. For the most part I’d just recommend adding an external QS dedicated Plex server and using what you have.