Using one of JDM_WAAAT old posts in r/Plex as a guide I built my UNRAID/Plex server and cut the cord 4 years ago and it’s time for an upgrade! It’s primarily used as a media server, though I wouldn’t mind being able to add a few dockers to run some older PC games across my network in the future.
I share it with approx 15 people and have had, at most, 5 concurrent streams. No current 4K needs.
Here’s what I have currently:
- Case: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis/Server Case/Rackmount Case
- Board: Supermicro X8DT3
- CPUs: 2 x Intel Xeon X5679 @ 2.93GHz
- Mem: 40 GIB DDR3 Multi-bit ECC
- Power: Seasonic X-850 Watt SS-850KM3 850w ATX/EPS
- Cache Drive: Mushkin REACTOR 1TB Internal Solid State Drive
- Media Drives:
- Parity 2x HGST 6TB SAS
- Media 13 total drives
- 6x Hitachi 2TB SATA
- 5x HGST 4TB SAS
- 2x HGST 6TB SAS
What can I re-use and what should I replace to ensure no power issues, no transcode issues, and be somewhat future proof for a while? SWMBO says budget is flexible as she likes having the server.